Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Resource Spy  (Read 76668 times)
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:00:21 am »

If you don't know about this program already let me explain it to you.

What is it?
Right now, this is a tool to analyze and replace system resources you would normally replace using ResHacker, without actually modifying the files on disk.

On the left side there is a tree view which shows what files are loaded and the resource types that load them. You can view what loaded simply by selecting the file name. You can view a specific type by opening the tree and selecting what resource types have been loaded.

On the top right you have the resources that were loaded at what time, what dll, what type, and its replacement location.

On the bottom right you have a resource preview. Note that not all resources will display so if an image or something isn't shown, that doesn't mean it didn't load or the image is blank.

The clear button clears the resources (though leaving the files / types in the tree view still visible)

How to use:
In your C:\ drive create a folder called "replace". In that folder create a folder for each file you want to replace resources with. For example C:\replace\shell32.dll.

In C:\replace\shell32.dll create a new folder whose name reflects the resource type. Example: C:\replace\shell32.dll\UIFILE

In that folder goes the replacement files. These replacement files have to be named as they are in the dll itself with the extension .bin.

Notes:

UIFiles: UIFiles work as stated. Just rename as .bin

Images and other non-textual data:

This gets tricky. So follow carefully.

Grab a copy of Resource Hacker

Open a random dll file and save it to the desktop. We're going to use this as a dummy dll.

For this example we're going to use BaseBrd.dll and change an image.

After your dummy dll is saved you can now import images.

Right click on 1033 (if you have a non-English version of windows this number might be different) and select Replace Resource.

Click "Open file with new bitmap."

Browse for your file and select it.

Now click the replace button.

Once that's done save the dummy dll.

Now in the menu bar click Action and click Save Resource as binary file.

Save the file as its resource name with the extension .bin

Huzzah. Start resource spy and now you can use that image.

Alternatively you can watch the tutorial video here: http://www.screencast.com/users/ThePandaX/folders/Default/media/cc2e133f-fa0b-4151-9e53-f0eee1a2c08a

Double Note: I haven't been able to get Explorer and ExplorerFrame's bitmaps to replace properly I'm testing to see if there's a special way to make them load properly. Currently the just remove the image all together (making the button about 1x1px)

Credits go to Ave

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:52:10 pm by Panda X » Logged
Dave Senior
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Why Windows 10 ? > 7 8 9 ??

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:19:22 am »

Thanks very much for this Smiley
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:56:42 am by davesenior » Logged
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 06:52:34 pm »

Added a tutorial video per request. Though I'm sorry there's a black line in the middle of it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:56:31 pm by Panda X » Logged
chiwou
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 07:45:49 pm »

in the video I think I saw why you can't change the explorer etc.

the resource spy app has to run before the modified application, but the explorer is always one of the first apps
maybe if you could run resource spy as a service, you could modify the explorer.exe too...

ciao
-Chris
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 08:09:29 pm »

in the video I think I saw why you can't change the explorer etc.

the resource spy app has to run before the modified application, but the explorer is always one of the first apps
maybe if you could run resource spy as a service, you could modify the explorer.exe too...

ciao
-Chris

It used to work though. For example each time you open an explorer window it would load the new resources. However with the EFrame it removes the previous image yet doesn't show the new one. I'll test every way possible again, maybe I missed something.
bhast2
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 11:19:22 pm »

awesome something for me to mess with now
chiwou
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 03:56:05 pm »

Okay I tested it and its great, explorer.exe works too, but only if you kill it, start resource spy and start explorer.exe again

great tool, now it needs an option to run as a service and starts automatically before login Wink

//edit
or is there a command line option to start the app, then I could make a service myself Cheesy

//edit2
and maybe disable the logging, after a few hours the app almost eats up over 200mib of Ram, when I click "clear" its back to 6mib
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 02:32:57 pm by chiwou » Logged
Elmer BeFuddled
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 02:08:46 am »

Mmmmm!  Cheesy

Nice.  Wink
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 11:45:35 pm »

Read 234 times.

Downloaded 12 times.

Huh?
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 12:01:14 am »

Read 234 times.

Downloaded 12 times.

Huh?

Read x times isn't a unique number.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:05:33 am »

Read x times isn't a unique number.

You are missing the point.

I mean the sad difference between numbers of views and downloads.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 01:17:20 am »

You are missing the point.

I mean the sad difference between numbers of views and downloads.

It's not like people are going to download it every time they come to the tread.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 01:44:47 am »

I was saying that I was disappointed that only 12 people downloaded Resource Spy.

Am I wrong?
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 02:01:25 am »

I was saying that I was disappointed that only 12 people downloaded Resource Spy.

Am I wrong?

Then what were you implying with the Read x times?
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 02:09:07 am »

Then what were you implying with the Read x times?

I meant that out of over 200 people who read about Resource Spy only 12 of them bothered to even download it and that I thought that was pretty disappointing. Do you get it now?
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 02:11:55 am »

I meant that out of over 200 people who read about Resource Spy only 12 of them bothered to even download it and that I thought that was pretty disappointing. Do you get it now?

I doubt 200 people saw this thread. If I hit F5 for about an hour it'll say Read 1000 times.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 02:14:41 am »

Then what the fuck does this mean?:        Topic: Resource Spy  (Read 248 times)
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 02:20:41 am »

Then what the fuck does this mean?:        Topic: Resource Spy  (Read 248 times)

That it's been read 248 times. Not that 248 people have read it. You've noticed that it's gone up 234 to 249 since this started. That doesn't mean that 15 people have read it.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 02:26:19 am »

That it's been read 248 times. Not that 248 people have read it. You've noticed that it's gone up 234 to 249 since this started. That doesn't mean that 15 people have read it.

I always thought that number was how many people actually viewed and read the thread.

Still 12 downloads is kinda disappointing.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:05:23 pm by 3am » Logged
bhast2
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 02:40:54 am »

Well it is not very disappointing in my mind cause not alot of people even mess dll files they just do msstyle files
they don't mess with uifile or anything of that matter so there really is no reason for them to use resource spy cause it really wouldn't do anything for them
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 02:46:49 am »

Well it is not very disappointing in my mind cause not alot of people even mess dll files they just do msstyle files
they don't mess with uifile or anything of that matter so there really is no reason for them to use resource spy cause it really wouldn't do anything for them

You can use it to replace icons, images, and what have you. Just not EFrame images.
AndreasV
Administrator
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 03:19:54 am »

It's an experimental tool for the hardcore modders Smiley Basically, everyone replying in this thread.
bhast2
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 05:11:26 am »

You can use it to replace icons, images, and what have you. Just not EFrame images.

Yes I understand that too that is what I meant by the "anything"
I should have made it more clear but I don't see alot of people in deviantart replacing images in dll files they are using windows default

One themer told me that he does not mess with dll files just cause Microsoft updates dll files and than they would have to update those dll files as they are released
So say they release their VS and than SP1 comes out they would have to update their dll files so they are updated for SP1
Some find it a pain to do that

But I use this app every day just to test stuff out and try to make different things happen in a UIFILE
bhast2
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 08:19:36 pm »

doesn't this work on x86?
I keep getting
"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running.  Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program. and then contact the software publisher."

soo???
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 02:55:05 am »

doesn't this work on x86?
I keep getting
"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running.  Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program. and then contact the software publisher."

soo???

64 only.
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 02:37:20 am »

I have used this tool a bit and it's really great for testing new mods but is there going to be any more development with it, it would be great if we could have this running as a service at startup so we could package it with custom themes and avoid having to change system files. Even better would be if it could run the modified files from the theme folder, so anywhere the current msstyles was being used is where the modded system files would be run from, that way if you select another theme it will change to the system files for that theme.

This would make installing and using themes an awesome leap forward I think, the only thing I am not sure of is the amount of memory it would require to have it for a large amount of modified system files.
bhast2
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 01:10:57 am »

there is a way to run it in memory but I forget how to do it.
Panda-x showed me how
but that was long ago
idas
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 10:48:02 am »

thanks Ave .
thanks Panda.

if it could work to x86  (32bit) systems that would be also great.

congratulations.
-------------------------
Bongo
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 02:21:37 pm »

Thank You Ave and Panda X just started using this
it is quite awesome makes things a little easier to get done
Jerry
Bongo
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 03:00:41 pm »

Made this program be passed on to others that do not belong to this forum?
Thank you
Jerry
chiwou
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 05:25:13 pm »

is there any progress on this tool? the memory leak (think it has something to do with the logging) has to be fixed and a few options for run as service etc. would be nice
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2012, 03:11:06 am »

is there any progress on this tool? the memory leak (think it has something to do with the logging) has to be fixed and a few options for run as service etc. would be nice

I recently tried recompiling it with Visual Studio 11 and ended up breaking it, I'll see if I can fix it and update it.
chiwou
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 06:54:12 pm »

thx sounds promising
PlumyRabbit
Beta Tester
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 03:34:41 am »

Boarf, it doesn't works on Windows 8 Beta o_o

Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 04:27:08 am »

Yeah in 8 it only loads ICON and BITMAP. It'll have to be updated.
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2012, 12:43:53 pm »

Would love to have this working, I seem to be having lots of problems replacing anything in Windows 8 without it breaking something, sick of doing repairs and system restores, this tool just makes it simple to test changes.

We need Ave to come and make us some fresh tools for Windows 8, seems that Ave's Apps died with Vista, I know that Theme Resource changer was created by Ave as well looking in the dll file it mentions Aves Start Button Changer even though I have not been able to find it anywhere on the net.

Maybe we all need to get together and and start a donation pool to get him started on some new apps or maybe make some of his apps open source so we can get some fresh developers to take interest.

Anyway I appreciate all the work you have been doing Panda, I don't know what we would do without you and the other staff keeping things going.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 06:33:27 pm »

Resource Spy is Ave's Start Button Changer, it's just been updated to replace more than the start button.
Robin
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 01:06:02 am »

thanks for the great work you guys do  Whoa
chiwou
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2012, 02:14:20 pm »

there is a way to run it in memory but I forget how to do it.
Panda-x showed me how
but that was long ago
I hate to ask/request again, but if there is a command line to start the tool after launch/disable logging, it would be incredible useful Cheesy

take care and Happy New Year
-Chris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: