Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another black screen  (Read 7148 times)
Nittiyh
Beginner

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2013, 02:43:40 pm »

Hey, so I was working on a port to Windows 8 of a W7 theme and it all went okay until I saved it yesterday and as I clicked "Use visual style" it gave me a black screen.
To be clear it worked fine for a few weeks and I could edit and save correctly, until yesterday when it happened randomly.
Now it doesn't want to go past the logon screen, giving me that flashing black screen everytime.
I know this isn't new, I searched for topics about it and found no solution except to do a restore.
Also those topics said the cause could have been that it's not safe to save your msstyles any other places than in the themes folder, but I saved mine there.
This is the 3rd time it happens and I'm starting to think it really isn't worth the trouble at all, but before I give up I wanted to make sure there were still no solutions available.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:02:00 pm by Nittiyh » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 03:31:57 pm »

For what it's worth I never click "Use the Visual Style" in 8. I let WSB compile it and then apply it by clicking my .theme file or through Personalization.

I haven't had the Black Screen problem since I started doing this. No idea why though...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:33:59 pm by 3am » Logged
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:36:45 pm »

It can also be caused by incorrect properties in DWM's classes.

What theme did you import?

Also if you have a black screen do a system restore from the recovery partition Windows creates on install.
Nittiyh
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 06:36:04 pm »

I'll do that, thanks.
I imported this theme: http://nittiyh.deviantart.com/art/Planisphere-for-Windows-7-353625293
However it worked fine for a few weeks as I said before.
I don't exactly remember what I had been editing, but I don't think I messed with anything DWM related. It was mostly changing fonts, text colors, fillcolors, and a few images here and there.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: