Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ZIP (no installer)  (Read 19827 times)
Pychon
Beginner

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:15:49 am »

Is it possible to provide a ZIP, extraction only, version rather than an installer? 

I seem to be having problems with the copy I installed after copying the files over to my application/backup drive. What I usually do... is install an application on my system and if it can run without it being "installed" into the system registry I copy the application data over to my application/backup drive. This helps for when I need to restore my system image at any given point of time; without having to install any applications. 

In the case with StyleBuilder, it will run, can open files, etc..  however, i'm unable to open and select any tree
AndreasV
Administrator
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 09:29:22 am »

VSB does not write anything to the registry, you should be able to copy its folder with all its contents to another location. The only thing needed is %AppData%/VistaStyleBuilder/licenseinfo which contains your activation details.
Pychon
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 07:08:21 am »

Ok. I'm stuck, because I'm unable to select anything from the tree after I copy the files over.  I can open files, right click on the tree and 'go to path' displays, but no access to any of the tree items.. also the 'information' dialog does not appear, which normally does even if nothing in the tree is selected.

Windows 7 64 bit
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:10:10 am by Pychon » Logged
Pychon
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 04:52:18 am »

Still does not work.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 06:44:04 am »

It's not going to make a difference whether it's installed with extraction or an installer.
Pychon
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:08:44 am »

Have you tested it on Windows 7 64 bit?

recorded exactly whats happening
http://www.screentoaster.com/watch/stVk5dR0ZIR1xWRF1cWVheU1VU/vsb
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:27:17 am by Pychon » Logged
ka-la
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 03:16:24 pm »

Ive tried on 64 bit, works fine.
EDIT: Whats wrong in video?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 03:29:13 pm by ka-la » Logged
Vzdorjii
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 07:18:02 pm »

The only thing needed is %AppData%/VistaStyleBuilder/licenseinfo which contains your activation details.

Could be a clue...
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 07:27:48 pm »

Could be a clue...
It would give you the activation popup if it wasn't there.
bhast2
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 12:02:24 am »

Ive tried on 64 bit, works fine.
EDIT: Whats wrong in video?

What is wrong in the video. you can't see what is wrong
he moved everything in the programs(x86) to a different place and now nothing works so that means that you can't install it to a different place
I see his point it would be nice to install this program somewhere else
than to the default place

maybe change the installer to let the person install it to where they want to
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 12:06:52 am »

Mine's installed in a different place.

X:\Customization\Ave's Apps\Vista Style Builder
Pychon
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 09:17:21 am »

Whats wrong in the video? You can see the mouse clicks and nothing happens. Also, notice that all files are in a directory, located on one of my 5 drives.. the license key is also in %APPDATA%, as well as the root folder where I launched the copied version of VistaStyleBuilder. The other executable is a 'shortcut' to the working directory on C:\.  The point I'm making is that it doesn't work. The remote "copied" version executes, but you can not select anything from the tree or view the information ( i ). The installer also installs the application in Program Files (x86) by default, however, you're given the option to choose which directory. Thats not the point, I prefer Windows not to see the installation and place it in the uninstall directory and would be nice to see an exe and a zip distribution; rather just an exe.

Either way, I installed it on an XP machine, copied the contents Program Files\VistaStyleBuilder to my remote drive on Windows 7 and it works fine. Something is obviously wrong with the way W7 and the installer handles things.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 10:55:51 pm »

The installer is a self-extracting zip. Makes no difference. Like I said I have mine in a different directory and it works fine.
Pychon
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 10:49:41 am »

The installer is a self-extracting zip. Makes no difference. Like I said I have mine in a different directory and it works fine.

If it were a "self-extracting zip", which it is not, it is "PACKAGED!" I should be able to open it with WinRAR or 7zip (any compression agent really), view the contents and extract it. Yes, IT DOES make a difference!  Missing the point anyway. You seem just to be heckling me around and not providing support.

I go out of my way, create a video to display exactly what I'm experiencing and you arrogantly tell me its working fine on your end. Then tell me mr arrogant, why it's NOT working here?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:55:03 am by Pychon » Logged
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 12:34:33 pm »

If it were a "self-extracting zip", which it is not, it is "PACKAGED!" I should be able to open it with WinRAR or 7zip (any compression agent really), view the contents and extract it. Yes, IT DOES make a difference!  Missing the point anyway. You seem just to be heckling me around and not providing support.

I go out of my way, create a video to display exactly what I'm experiencing and you arrogantly tell me its working fine on your end. Then tell me mr arrogant, why it's NOT working here?
I don't know. But a zip file of it won't make it magically work. I have mine in a different directory than the default and it works just fine.
Pychon
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 01:29:35 pm »

Sure it would. I previously noted installing it on an XP machine, then compressed it to a ZIP. Extracted it to Windows 7 and it works flawlessly on the remote drive. Doing the EXACT same method of compressing/copying on Windows 7 did not work.  In my case "copying" the files from the packagers default installed directory to a "remote" directory, then uninstalling (or NOT) and placing the licenseinfo in AppData... does not work (as displayed in the video).  Sure I could install it with your packager to a different directory, but that's besides the point i'm trying to make clear; some people just don't want it localized or registered in the registry (yes, it does register in the registry for add/remove programs and program groups). Perhaps, I'm too use to how *nix systems work, and packagers in Windows (variably to most systems) are commonly there for LARGE applications and complex installs, as a convenience, and for those who do not know their way around a system.

I'm just saying providing alternate sources to download the app would be nice. So, whether this is a bug with the Packager, WindowsStyleBuilder, or how Windows7 (it's quite possible) copies files; I don't know.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: