Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Indeterminate" progress meter appears wrong on laptop  (Read 11806 times)
Ascaris
Beginner

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2015, 03:09:45 pm »

Hi,

I've been using a version of the Classic AE theme on my desktop for a few months now, and it works nicely.  I just upgraded my old (came with Vista pre-SP1) laptop to 7, and I applied the same theme to it, but the "indeterminate" progress bars (such as you see when searching for Windows updates) are glitched on the laptop.

I tried setting the desktop screen resolution to the same as the laptop (1280x800), but the glitch is still not present.

Here's an illustration.  The top image is the glitched search for updates bar.  There is an extra white line in the progress bar, at the bottom.

The middle image shows how it looks when the little green indicator moves out of the area before reappearing on the left side (it looks normal). 

The bottom image is how the same theme looks on my desktop PC.

Any ideas why it is doing that? 

Also, will I be breaking my VSB theme activation key if I install it on the laptop too?  Normally I would do all my work on the big pc anyway, but I can't even see the bug on the desktop PC. 

The desktop is Win 7 x64 and the laptop is Win 7 x86, if that matters.

3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 10:48:15 pm »

I tested every one of the msstyles in Classic AE 2.5.3 Final by Saarineames and I didn't get any white at all. I also didn't get the gray background which might explain missing one of them anyway:

The MoveOverLay image itself contains nothing white:

Have you altered the msstyle or the image?

I didn't use any of the Res files.

The msstyle should work the same whether you are using an x64 or x86 OS,
Ascaris
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 11:25:09 pm »

3am,

Yes, I modified the theme quite a lot, but I also tried the unmodified 2.5.3 version, and it has the same white line as the modified one.

I also get the little line intermittently on other progress bars... only when it moves.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 11:31:58 pm »

No idea why this is just happening on your Laptop.

I'm not sure about the key. Panda will know about that
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 09:59:24 pm »

I'd play around with the sizing margins for that indicator a bit, Ascaris, top and bottom, since it appears to be that image rather than the background bar....Or perhaps the content margins (top, bottom) of the bar? I don't have that theme, so I don't know how the images are set. Also, to be sure there's no semi-transparent white line in that indicator image, open it with PS and stick a colored layer under it....if you still don't see anything, copy the indicator layer a few times (by selecting it, then pressing ctrl + j); the white line might be very faint...And doesn't that background draw from 2 images? Check them both if so, look for differences in margins and appearance.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:09:13 pm by JMB » Logged
Ascaris
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 04:45:36 am »

Thanks for the replies.  It is solved-- here's how.

By changing the margins around as you suggested, JMB, I found that I was able to move the white line up or down... if I moved it down 2 pixels, it would overlap the existing white line at the bottom of the bar border, rendering it invisible.  Then, by adding 2 rows of transparent pixels to the bottom of the green moving indicator and to the corresponding SIZINGMARGIN, it looked fine (it did not respond to adding a CONTENTMARGIN at all).  Still, it was kind of hacked-up way of doing it, so I kept looking. 

It was apparent that the white line was not part of the green moving indicator (which lives in Buttons, Boxes, & Controls > Progress Bars > Indeterminate > MoveOverlay).  I eliminated all of the properties, temporarily, in MoveOverlay, and it made the green bar vanish, yet the white line was still there.  Then I had an idea... the very next entry under that is PulseOverlay, which had no properties listed.  I decided to try adding BGTYPE to None... and it worked! 

I still have no clue why my laptop required this and the desktop did not.  They both run Win 7 with all the security updates (laptop x86, desktop x64), with the same Appearance and Performance settings, with the same system colors and personalization options (these are defined in the .THEME file I use).  It's not the DPI scaling, as I tried setting the desktop to the laptop's lower resolution (1280x800), and it didn't change anything.  I installed Win7 cleanly on both PCs, so there should not be anything fishy and proprietary (other than the laptop utilities for the wireless button, etc., which I did install) on there. 

The laptop uses an ATI/AMD gpu and the desktop a Nvidia... that should not make a difference, but this problem should not exist either.  I'm still curious to know what is different, but at least now it is solved.

Thanks again!

JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 12:46:23 am »

I'm glad you got it fixed! That is weird, though, the fact that the laptop somehow required the location but not your desktop.....I guess it's one of those WSB mysteries, lol. When I first started with WSB, I had some issues with 'shine layers' (like in command module), trying to figure out why some image I'd added wasn't showing. I think my issues were in Win 8.1 vs at the time, I can't remember. I do know that progress bars can be tricky, too. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: