Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Issues with WSB search field with theme applied  (Read 10928 times)
Ascaris
Beginner

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2015, 10:56:22 am »

I'm using the same modified Classic AE 2.5.3 theme as in my previous post (but it happens the same if I use the unmodified theme too). 

If I enable the Classic AE theme by selecting it in the Personalize menu and then load WSB, it moves the search button and the dropdown arrow several pixels too far to the right, so that the right edge of the dropdown button is clipped.  It does not change if I test the theme (or any of its variants) with WSB if that or Classic (non-aero) is the theme selected in Personalize. (center image shown below)

If I test the Windows Aero theme with Classic AE set as the theme in Personalize, it too has the too-long search box and the clipped dropdown button (not shown).  But if I enable Aero in the Personalize menu and then test Classic AE, the button looks fine (bottom image below).

I've tried renaming and replacing the shellstyle.dll in the Classic AE folder with the Aero one and the default one in WSB, but it did not help.

Screenshot below. 

Top- the WSB search box in Aero, displayed correctly.
Mid- the WSB search box in AE 2.5.3
Bottom- the WSB search box in AE 2.5.3 if Aero is the system theme and AE is tested with WSB

Thanks! 

3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 01:18:29 pm »

I don't know whether you are using default VSB or WSB beta but assuming you are using default VSB then:

Try changing the properties at these locations back to default Aero:

Address, Breadcrumb, & Search > Search > Button Toolbar > Basic > SplitButtonDropDown > Main Image
Address, Breadcrumb, & Search > Search > Button Toolbar > Basic > SplitButton
Address, Breadcrumb, & Search > Search > SearchBox > Basic > Normal > Active > Background

If that doesn't do anything then try playing with the images at those locations
Ascaris
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 08:37:11 pm »

I am using WSB, the latest beta. 

None of those locations had any properties to mess with.  They were just image files.  I did export the Aero ones and import into Classic AE, applied the .msstyles, and restarted WSB... the only change was the appearance of the search box and the left split button.  While they now look Aero, they are still too far to the right.

I wish I knew more about how WSB tests a theme.  If I could just get it to stay as it is when I have Aero installed but testing Classic AE, that would be perfect!

Thanks as always for your time.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 09:30:02 pm »

Huh? The properties are in the right panel:

You should be concerned with Margins properties. Ignore the Inherited Properties.

In the Beta concentrate on these:

Address, Breadcrumb, & Search > Search > Button Toolbar > Basic > SplitButton
Address, Breadcrumb, & Search > Search > Button Toolbar > Aero > SplitButtonDropDown
Address, Breadcrumb, & Search > Search > SearchBox > Basic > Normal > Active > Background
Ascaris
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 01:38:37 am »

Doh!  There it is, just like you said... How did I miss that?  /facepalm

After a bunch of trial and error, I changed Address, Breadcrumb, & Search > Search > Button Toolbar > Basic > SplitButton > CONTENTMARGINS from 2, 0, 0 ,0 to 0, -4, 0, 0, and it worked beautifully.  Thanks!!!

And the thing about if x theme is loaded and I use WSB to test theme y, it shows the search split button according to how theme x says, as far as what I now now are the content margins go... I discovered that I have to hit test/reload, then immediately hit reload AGAIN for the correct margin settings to be applied.  Until then, it was still using the margin settings from the installed theme rather than the one I told it to test. 

Thanks again!  Hopefully, the theme mods are done... everything is working as well as it should now.  There are a few rough patches, but I downloaded and tried out some other themes as well, and the same issues are present in them too, so they are probably not in the .msstyles.  (Specifically, the Shortcut Key box in the properties dialog of any Windows shortcut doesn't look right, and the popup for Outpost Security Suite has weird looking white backgrounds for some of the info it displays... both issues still existed in other non-white-background Aero themes I downloaded).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: