Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's wrong with my theme?  (Read 10511 times)
link6155
Beginner

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2014, 12:06:20 am »

Hi everyone,

Over the past few months of using WSB, sometimes my themes will crash my computer when I apply them (the screen turns black and the cursor flickers). Now, every time I apply my theme, it crashes and I have to do a system restore to get my computer working again. What I'm doing before applying my theme is changing my windows' theme to another theme such as the default, then replace the old theme files with the new updated one. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is there something wrong with my theme? The theme seems to work fine when I test it in WSB, but when I actually apply it, it crashes my computer.

Here's the link to my theme: http://1drv.ms/1gsGANm
Don't attempt to apply the theme as it might crash your computer too.

Can anyone help me/fix this?
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:20:10 am »

It's working fine for me, is there anything else in your licorice folder other than the msstyles and the shell?
link6155
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:22:13 am »

No, the files I have included are the only files included with my theme. Perhaps it's how I'm applying it?

Edit: I tried applying my own theme after I deleted the old files, logged off & on, and then inserting the new files. It seems to work. I think it might have something to do with windows syncing my theme.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:27:24 am by link6155 » Logged
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:47:11 am »

Generally when that happens (the black screen) DWM is crashing and WinLogon gets hung in an infinite loop trying to restart it. If you want to try to avoid it at all costs you can try suspending winlogon with pssuspend , if DWM crashes you can go back to another theme and restart DWM manually. Note that Explorer needs DWM in order to run as well so it may get difficult.
link6155
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 12:33:28 am »

I'm getting the black flickering screen now. I can't even log into any accounts or start in safe mode. How would I be able to fix this without restoring or using a system restore point?
seahorsepip
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 08:23:30 pm »

Try to avoid the apply button on the popup after saving the theme, that crashes my system too. And uxstyle can sometimes give a black screen so instead of uxstyle try ultrauxthemepatcher which seems to have fixed the blackscreen issue with winlogon.

link6155
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 06:19:51 pm »

Try to avoid the apply button on the popup after saving the theme, that crashes my system too. And uxstyle can sometimes give a black screen so instead of uxstyle try ultrauxthemepatcher which seems to have fixed the blackscreen issue with winlogon.

I didn't click the apply button, it happened when I tried to test my theme by applying it through windows. I'll be using uxthemepatcher until uxstyle fixes up the problems.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: