Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest version WSB not working with themes from previous version  (Read 16071 times)
decibelle
Beginner

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:58:57 pm »

I've been playing around with WSB for about a week, and I have a few test msstyles files that I've been working with. I just updated from 15.0.3 to the latest stable version, and I'm finding that with the themes I've been working on the elements don't seem to correspond, i.e., when I open restore button glow, what shows in the preview is the help button glyph, etc. This is not the case with a brand-new theme, but I don't want to have to discard everything I've been working on.

In addition, I can't test the previous themes, either. Is there any help with this?

Thanks,
Ellen

edit: Well, I've figured out that if I closed the status bar and that other bar that was open – forgot the name, and now can't figure out how to get it back – in other words, going back to the view that I was using in the previous version of WSB, somehow everything goes back to corresponding to the correct item an image. Which is very, very strange.

I'm finding it rather buggy, to say the least. Another strange thing the new version does is refuse to open a previous theme when I want to switch from one to another. I have to close down the program and reopen it in order to switch themes. Anyone else noticing these things?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:29:43 pm by decibelle » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:24:11 pm »

I never had any of these problems or heard of anyone else having them.

Hard to say at a distance what you are doing wrong

1) Locations have been renamed but all clearly. There is no way Windows & Caption Buttons > Aero > DWM Window > Frames > Details > Glows > Restore/Maximize Button would give you Windows & Caption Buttons > Aero > DWM Window > Controls > Captions > Window > Minimize/Help Button > Help Glyph > 96dpi.

2) If you are in Ribbon mode and want to get out click Options and uncheck Ribbon. Being in or out of Ribbon mode or having or not having the Status Bar enabled has no effect on how WSB works.

3) I don't see how you are unable to open msstyles. Do you mean you want to have 2 msstyles open at the same time? You can do that by shift-clicking WSB so you can open two simultaneously with different msstyles and just snap them side by side

4) Often WSB won't test the first time and will crash. Just keep hitting Test until it works usually on the second or third time. Always get the msstyles you are working on testing before doing any editing so you don't lose your work if it doesn't test later.

Is this any help?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:42:15 pm by 3am » Logged
decibelle
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:34:20 pm »

Thanks. Now that I've changed to the non-ribbon view, it seems to be working well enough, so I'm not going to mess with it unless something else crops up.
decibelle
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 10:39:11 pm »

I spoke too soon. I'm really tearing my hair out here. Each version has its own problems, but they both sort of stop working after a while and need to be restarted, and sometimes I completely need to reboot.

The same theme displays somewhat differently in each different version. In the newer version, although I have edited certain items, they just do not display as edited. I think the newer version is a bit more stable and I'd like to continue using it, but it simply won't let me edit certain things. Or, what I mean is, I edit them, but they do not change when I test the theme. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Also, the new one does not remember where to save to or open from from one reboot to the next.

Thanks,
Ellen

Edit: Fortunately, I am seeing that when I try the theme in Windows\Resources\Themes as a theme, all the edits do show, but it is utterly maddening to work this way.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:55:10 pm by decibelle » Logged
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:35:14 pm »

I spoke too soon. I'm really tearing my hair out here. Each version has its own problems, but they both sort of stop working after a while and need to be restarted, and sometimes I completely need to reboot.

The same theme displays somewhat differently in each different version. In the newer version, although I have edited certain items, they just do not display as edited. I think the newer version is a bit more stable and I'd like to continue using it, but it simply won't let me edit certain things. Or, what I mean is, I edit them, but they do not change when I test the theme. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Also, the new one does not remember where to save to or open from from one reboot to the next.

Thanks,
Ellen

Edit: Fortunately, I am seeing that when I try the theme in Windows\Resources\Themes as a theme, all the edits do show, but it is utterly maddening to work this way.

The theme compiles the same in 1.5.0.3 and 1.5.5.9 as the backend hasn't changed at all. So there's no reason why one should have different results from the other. What are you trying to edit exactly?
decibelle
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 06:40:42 pm »

I think I'm going to let this go for now, because I don't have time to devote to figuring out what's wrong. The earlier version is working OK--I think-- if I stick with it. I'll come back to this later when I have the time. Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: