Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What to expect when theming for Windows 7.  (Read 12040 times)
K-Johnson
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2009, 09:26:44 am »

Just thought I'd make this thread for folks getting started on Windows 7 theming and also for those of us who have been at it for a while now.

Vista was a lot more open in terms of independent styling.  Windows 7 shares a lot more resources now, which is typically a great thing -- but not for us!
They also introduced a new set of graphics just for Explorer (Header, ListItem, GroupHeader, etc), so you'll have to update that part of your theme, also.

So, some troubles I have ran into:

1.  No independent styling for Explorer group text.  I wanted to make them smaller without affecting the item text in Explorer.  Instead it relies on a global property now and 'scales' it down.
2.  Can't independently change Explorer Searchbox text anymore -- in Vista this was possible.
3.  No more fancy 'More Program' buttons like the one below -- Windows 7 chooses to ignore the image state it should use (JumpListItem) and instead shares with the New Program state image, resulting in stretchy graphics.  Unfortunately, it also ignores the sizing margins there, so I'll have to strip this neat look for usability sake.

What are some of your problems?
drakkar1969
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:05:34 pm »

in the new Explorer header you can't reduce the height by changing the height of header background/item like you could in Vista
K-Johnson
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 09:22:54 pm »

in the new Explorer header you can't reduce the height by changing the height of header background/item like you could in Vista

Oh yeah, that annoyed me  Angry
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 10:29:23 pm »

That pissed me off.

Some things in the next VSB will import headers, group headers, and whatnot into the new 7 classes. I already have it mapped and working.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 10:30:21 pm »

That pissed me off.

Some things in the next VSB will import headers, group headers, and whatnot into the new 7 classes. I already have it mapped and working.

There's no start button in the MSStyles.
K-Johnson
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 11:54:27 pm »

Oh yeah, the Start buttons  Sad

I hope this thread is useful for people who are coming from Vista.
I wasted time trying to reimplement things that ultimately lead to nowhere because it isn't currently doable.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 11:56:13 pm by K-Johnson » Logged
drakkar1969
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 12:56:59 am »

can't change the text color of taskbar buttons in different states (hover, pressed ...)
at least i haven't been able to
K-Johnson
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:18:01 am »

can't change the text color of taskbar buttons in different states (hover, pressed ...)
at least i haven't been able to

Oh yeah, I don't think that's possible.

Also, Startmenu's Placeslist glow color is shared with Jumplist's menu items.

Another limiting factor in the Superbar area is that DWM draws its own borders, so I had to scrap my unique grouped look as DWM's border cut through my image:
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 03:01:01 am »

Oh yeah, I don't think that's possible.

Also, Startmenu's Placeslist glow color is shared with Jumplist's menu items.

Another limiting factor in the Superbar area is that DWM draws its own borders, so I had to scrap my unique grouped look as DWM's border cut through my image:

DWM doesn't handle the tabs/color hot tracking.
Aaron.A
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 01:26:50 am »

does anyone know about the taskbar button hover colors?
ya know that colorful overlay that moves with the mouse and
shares similar colors with its icon? i want it modified or gone
and i cannot find it anywhere...

also, task button spacing.. can that be modified?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: