Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hate Windows 10?  (Read 20491 times)
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2015, 08:46:23 am »

...I do.

Just wanted to express my own angst about the "best Windows ever", figured the Other section would be appropriate....

So, a few weeks ago my Father-in-law sprung for new computers for he and I. Mine came with 8.1 installed, so I clean installed 8.1 Pro from my disk in anticipation of upgrading to 10 Pro yesterday. Didn't install any extra programs or patch anything because I wanted the upgrade to go nice & smooth. Which it did.

But, my gawd, what a disappointment! I waited for almost 3 weeks, only to be so disgusted that I almost puked when the upgrade finished.  Cry I know, I know, whaa-whaa-whaaa, quitcherbitchin. But I just had to whine a little to y'all, sorry. So, now I just finished re-installing 8.1, my Work Nite Shift theme, extras, etc....and am a happy camper now.  Smiley

My wife seems to be OK with 10 on her laptop, at least somewhat. She experienced several bugs with getting free games from the Windows Store, has had a few learning-curve issues with the ghastly u.i., but hasn't told me yet to get her Windows 8.1 back.  Whoa

There are a LOT of things that I hate about 10, all the way from the Frankenstein-monster start menu, to the cartoon u.i., to limited customization choices, to windowed-apps, to bugs everywhere..... It just ISN'T an upgrade imho. I know I thought that same thing when 8x came out, and then later began to like 8.1 a lot, but I don't see me ever wanting to install 10 again. It's like MS took a poop on my windowsill with 8, cleaned it up with 8.1, then knocked me down and had diarrhea on my new shoes with 10.   Angry

So what are your thoughts, my friends?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:20:31 pm by JMB » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 09:40:31 pm »

I don't hate it.

I don't like the inconsistent UI like those dark jump lists I can't change.

Customization might get a little tricky with all the XAML stuff and automatic updates. I can always defer upgrades. But I probably won't.

Otherwise, except for a minor audio drive glitch, I haven't had any problems with 10240 or any of the earlier builds.

I'll keep dual-booting it and keep up with it's development. It's the future.
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 12:35:43 am »

Same here, not hating on it at all, I will keep it on the VM for now on my main rig but I have already upgraded the family PC and my Wife's as they are not interested in customisation, I also wanted to take advantage of the Xbox streaming which I found to be a pretty good experience and was surprised to see there was less lag streaming to my PC monitor then there was going directly to the TV from the console.

I really would like to see some better customisation tools for it in the future and I hope we can find a way to bring back Taskbar customization, aside from that though everything is working great, SiB works just as it did with 8 with a few new improvements, OldNewExplorer still works great aside from hiding the folders, Aero Glass seems to be working well with some new nice features as well, I think Windows 10 could have a bright future, I think I may just bite the bullet and upgrade my main rig, I also want to take advantage of DX12 as I mainly built this rig to play games.

I have a quick question though, sorry to go off topic but anyone know if there is a way to theme the context menu on the start button, it seems to be different from the normal and immersive ones.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:55:27 am »

You mean the right click WIN+X menu?

I'm pretty sure it's Unknown > ImmersiveStart::Menu popup item, background etc
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:10:10 am by 3am » Logged
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 01:16:20 am »

Sadly not, the borders are changing but the background is white and the text is black, I don't seem to be able to change it.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 01:49:56 am »

Works for me:

Green is Unknown > ImmersiveStart::Menu > PopUpItem > Normal
Blue text is Unknown > ImmersiveStart::Menu > PopUpItem > TEXTCOLOR
Blue is Unknown > ImmersiveStart::Menu > PopUpItem > Hot
Red text is Unknown > ImmersiveStart::Menu > PopUpItem > Hot > TEXTCOLOR
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 03:01:22 am »

Yeah no idea why it's not working for me, the sub menu works but not the main one.

Edit: just found out it's a problem with SiB, I disabled it and it was working as expected.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:04:24 am by Mr GRiM » Logged
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 03:40:07 am »

Maybe I'll just wait for some months, see how it develops.  Since I did upgrade my brand new computer first, I can now re-install 10 Pro for the life of my device. Right now I'm not liking it, and have went back to 8.1 Pro wmc, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open to W10 development and hope for some improvements. After all, 8 sucked until enough people caused MS to develop it into 8.1, which was a big improvement imo. I have the Win 10 .iso now, so I'll re-install in a few months and check the progress. I'm sure many of the bugs that are still in the os right now will be worked out, but I really hope MS will continue to tweak the ui and options. I don't have the patience to keep it installed as an Insider or whatever. I only have one computer, which I use a LOT.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:44:56 am by JMB » Logged
drakulaboy
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 10:50:23 am »

navigation arrows are not changing even if in theme are changed, it's from ExplorerFrame.dll ?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:52:07 am by drakulaboy » Logged
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 11:14:25 am »

Those are the optional ones included with OldNewExplorer, just uncheck the box for them.
drakulaboy
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 11:36:04 am »

omg, i was so blind, i don't even read all the points from OldNewExplorer, thank you Mr GRiM

now the only problem is that the Start icon is not showing on modded theme
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 09:53:30 am »

I managed to port most of Work Nite Shift over to 10, on my wife's machine (laptop), grabbing Grim's ClassMaps and some other tips from some of you guys. As soon as I have the port completed to my satisfaction I'll post it here.

I also have been disabling a lot of the things in 10 that neither she or I are comfortable with, privacy-wise. Aside from the stuff you can find on the 'Net about how to turn off certain things, I've found a good bit of stuff on my own that can be disabled in 'gpedit'. Cortana of course got dumped first and foremost, lol. I deleted her ass. She'll likely be resurrected by some update, though, so I have to watch for that. Getting rid of her didn't break anything that I can find, even Edge and Search still function fine without Cortana. My wife seems to like the way I've set her computer up so far, but I'm still not wanting 10 just yet. Gonna give it several more months, see what comes out in the wash with development and with what others discover.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:56:54 am by JMB » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: