Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: rundll32 Error on Preview of Theme  (Read 10325 times)
skymartial
Beginner

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2009, 09:21:12 am »

I seem to have a problem where any theme that I save using VSB, although it can be applied using VSB directly, crashes the theme applet. When I click on the name of the theme in the theme applet, rather that previewing the theme above as normal, it instead causes a rundll32 error ("rundll32 has stopped working").

Does anyone know why this is happening and if so, how to prevent it?

I read through another thread where this was mentioned, but in an earlier version of the program. I already used BCMapFixer to see if that would solve the problem but to no avail.

I wouldn't really mind applying themes only through VSB, but unfortunately, once the computer restarts, where the user has one of the problem visual styles set as the theme, the user won't login and you have to manually point the theme somewhere else in safe mode or on another user account.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:26:44 am by skymartial » Logged
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:39:17 am »

What's your OS SKU and Service Pack?
skymartial
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:58:24 am »

I'm using a desktop with Vista Home Premium SP0 (external drive problems with SP1) and I use this to produce and save the themes, but I also have a laptop with Vista Home Premium SP1 and the visual styles won't load in the theme window on that either, giving the same error.

/edit:

\I've downloaded other custom styles built using VSB and otherwise, and these all work fine, it just seems to be happening to the themes that I compile myself.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:10:53 am by skymartial » Logged
sunbeam2000
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 12:17:55 pm »

it must be an error in the theme.

i had this problem, too. and searched a long time until i found a missing contentmargins setting.

sometimes testing the theme still works, but not applying..

the only thing that helps is, using difference tool with the original aero theme or running two VSB sessions, one with original aero (or your last working VS) and the error-causing theme and checking the settings step by step..

unfortunenately VSB cannot find and display a wrong setting.
skymartial
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:14:25 pm »

At first, I thought this too, so I started a brand new theme using the aero template, made no changes to the default and then then tried to bring it up in the theme applet. It gives me the same problem. Its the same with any theme that I save using VSB, but other custom themes work fine.
Fledermaus
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 02:51:00 pm »

I am using VSB with Vista SP1 and was experiencing the exact symptoms you describe. Simply saving a copy of the Aero style wthout making any edits would cause the themes applet to crash. I also experienced the login issue.

I found the solution had already been given in these forums. Try the following:

In %AppData%/VistaStyleBuilder/Settings.ini, add the following setting:
  [Settings]
  FirstImageId=1

This resolved the issue for me, I can now edit and save my styles. Hope this helps.
skymartial
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 07:33:33 pm »

Well, thank you for suggesting that. I had read that on the other post from earlier entitled "bug...", but I thought that the responses implied that this was fixed by a later update.

Anyway, it works for me, and so simple to fix. Thanks to all for the very prompt and friendly help. Great program, really loving it.

satukoro
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 03:19:47 am »

Thanks for solving my problem! I was rather confused as to why this was happening.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: