Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Default DLL does not exist in: <program>\Data\AveStyle.msstyles  (Read 14310 times)
D13
Beginner

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:23:43 pm »

Error wen saving theme changes in Windows 7 64 bit...

When I make changes to theme and then hit "test" or "save", I get an error:

"Missing Data

Default DLL does not exist in:
<program>\Data\AveStyle.msstyles"

Any help would appreciated as I just paid for this program!!!
D13
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:56:48 pm »

Wink  Got it. Uninstall the WSB and then reinstall. Error goes away. Also, don't try and replace the active theme, I think that is what is causing it.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:14:04 pm »

Did you do anything with AveStyle.msstyles? It shouldn't ever be missing.
D13
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 03:09:46 pm »

No I did not. I haven't really dove into the issue but mine occured after I saved the current style. So, once I installed the program and ran it against an installed theme, I then saved those changes. I saved them against the current active theme though. Once I did that, I noticed the issue every time I would try to "save" or "test" in WSB.

I replaced all .DLLs, in x86 as well as 64 bit and still nothing. I went through all steps and still got the issue until... I reinstalled WSB. Now, when I reinstalled and opened WSB, I opened the current theme and then saved it but... I didn't save to the active theme. The program gives an option to switch to AERO while it saves your changes to the deisred theme. It does this quickly though. So, in short, even though you are trying to modify your existing "active" theme, you still want to take the option to switch to another installed theme while it makes the changes to the desired one. Then just quickly load the desired theme again once the changes are saved. I have had no issues since I started doing this.

Oh ya, running: WINDOWS 7 ENTERPRISE/64 BIT/SERVICE PACK 1.

I am a developer for a living and at first glance, it looks to me like the actual .DLL path is changed to point to the active theme directories for its location. So, some sort of container reference, in WSB, might be getting localized when the current theme is changed in place.

Hope this helped.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:15:10 pm by D13 » Logged
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:42:42 pm »

I don't see why this would be happening to only you, that bit of code hasn't ever changed to my knowledge and it's the first time I've heard of anyone having that issue.

When working with a theme in WSB and then saving it goes through the following steps:

Open a theme, store data in memory.
On save create a .tmp file, then deletes it.
Copies <program>\Data\AveStyle.msstyles to the temp folder and renames it to the previous tmp file name
Writes data to the tmp file
Copies tmp file to the save location and renames it
If that theme is in use apply %windir%\Resources\Themes\Aero\Aero.msstyles
Deletes the previous theme
Saves the new one
Asks if you want to apply

AveStyle.msstyles is only ever copied once per save and nothing else happens to it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: