Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DWM Crash & Revert to Basic Every Time I Test .msstyles  (Read 10253 times)
Felipe
Beginner

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:03:39 am »

Hello.

So I've given up on trying to sort this by myself.

I made a copy of the Aero theme and renamed it, etc. I opened that msstyles file, from the desktop, and tested it, without making any changes. Every time I do so, DWM crashes, and my VS goes basic. This has effectively kept me from theming.

I spent a lot of time trying to theme the DWM frame, going through every top instance, and theming/testing it, to see if I had themed the basic file. Nope. I figure that the DWM crash is keeping me from making any changes to the DWM with my theme.

Testing other themes is working.

I've been able to compile my own .msstyle from Aero, but I've always had the problem I describe above. I've never been able to theme the DWM frame.

I'm on W7 - build 1.5.0.0
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:13:00 am »

If you're copying aero.msstyles from C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero to the desktop before changing it, make sure to copy the en-US folder as well. It contains info WSB needs to load the theme properly. Also if you rename aero.msstyles before editing it in WSB make sure to change the name of \en-US\aero.msstyles.mui to match.

Example

blah.msstyles
\en-US\blah.msstyles.mui

After you save/test the theme the mui is no longer needed as the information is merged into the msstyles.

I don't know if it's related to your problem but might help.
Felipe
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:56:08 pm »

I did that.

I tested the Aero theme itself, with no modifications, and got the same error.

I didn't get rid of the file that you mentioned, but I don't think it matters.

This is slightly off topic, but I was wondering, can I edit the image files of an .msstyles file without WSB? I know I can navigate to and extract them with Restorator, but is there also a way to edit them back into the theme without WSB? Or, what the easiest way to go about that is. I have no real sense of flow within WSB.
Felipe
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 05:35:19 pm »

I have downloaded the latest beta, and both of these problems seem to have been resolved.

Thank you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: