Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7 Taskbar Dimensions?  (Read 69980 times)
Tom Blow
Beginner

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2011, 12:34:40 am »

Does anybody know what the width of the Windows 7 Taskbar is in pixels?

Thanks. Tom
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 12:48:42 am »

40px large icons

30px small icons

You can get small icon taskbar down to 24px:

http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=925.msg4572#msg4572

32px (size of icon) is smallest you can get for large icon taskbar
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:57:35 am by 3am » Logged
Tom Blow
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:35:14 am »

40px large icons

30px small icons

You can get small icon taskbar down to 24px:

http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=925.msg4572#msg4572

32px (size of icon) is smallest you can get for large icon taskbar

At the risk of sounding completely stupid is the Taskbar 40 px high or is that the icons? Huh?
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 01:39:41 am »

At the risk of sounding completely stupid is the Taskbar 40 px high or is that the icons? Huh?

Taskbar is 40px high (default) icons are 32.
Tom Blow
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 01:50:56 am »

Taskbar is 40px high (default) icons are 32.

Ok thanks for the clarification Wink
Tom Blow
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 02:20:53 am »

Does anyone know if it's possible to make the Taskbar bigger thus allowing you to have bigger icons, and if so how you'd go about doing it?

Thanks. Tom
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 12:18:16 pm »

Does anyone know if it's possible to make the Taskbar bigger thus allowing you to have bigger icons, and if so how you'd go about doing it?

Thanks. Tom

Increase the last 2 values of the CONTENTMARGINS:MARGINS at Taskbar & System Tray > TaskBand > Basic > TaskBand > BackgroundBottom from (3, 3, 0, 0) to something like (3, 3, 6, 6) etc to make a higher taskbar and keep the icons centered. Or just increase the 3rd value to make space at the top or the 4th value to make space at the bottom.

I don't think you can make the actual icons bigger, but I could be wrong...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:32:07 pm by 3am » Logged
Tom Blow
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 04:01:19 am »

Increase the last 2 values of the CONTENTMARGINS:MARGINS at Taskbar & System Tray > TaskBand > Basic > TaskBand > BackgroundBottom from (3, 3, 0, 0) to something like (3, 3, 6, 6) etc to make a higher taskbar and keep the icons centered. Or just increase the 3rd value to make space at the top or the 4th value to make space at the bottom.

I don't think you can make the actual icons bigger, but I could be wrong...

This is probably a stupid question but does the 32 px height limit also apply to the Start Button? Also does the 32 px limit apply to width of Taskbar icons/Start Button?

Thanks. Tom
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:13:38 am by Tom Blow » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:53:42 pm »

This is probably a stupid question but does the 32 px height limit also apply to the Start Button? Also does the 32 px limit apply to width of Taskbar icons/Start Button?

Thanks. Tom

1) According to this tutorial http://www.door2windows.com/how-to-create-a-windows-7-start-orb/ you can't have a start orb bigger than 55x55 pixels. I don't know this for a fact though.

2) The default superbar icon is 32x32 pixels. I don't know whether the superbar would accept anything bigger even if you made some for all your applications which doesn't make much sense anyway.
Tom Blow
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 02:57:10 am »

1) According to this tutorial http://www.door2windows.com/how-to-create-a-windows-7-start-orb/ you can't have a start orb bigger than 55x55 pixels. I don't know this for a fact though.

2) The default superbar icon is 32x32 pixels. I don't know whether the superbar would accept anything bigger even if you made some for all your applications which doesn't make much sense anyway.

After doing some "investigating" (if you can even call it that), namely taking one screenshot of the TaskBar using the small setting (Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display) and one screenshot using the medium setting and then enlarging them in Photoshop, it appears that while using the default small setting that the Start Button measures 36 x 36 px while all the other icons are no larger than 32 x 32 px (as you stated) but while using the medium setting the Start Button measures 42 x 42 px and the other icons are 40 x 40 px.
ka-la
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 07:43:33 pm »

It' s called DPI settings and no, you can do it via WSB, see the box on top of the Image View ? Select the start button and change the DPI setting, It' ll change the start button for larger DPI

Edit: there are siome weaknesss about DPI too. First who ever going to use your theme has to change the DPI setting, and the second is that DPI doesnt only apply to taskbar/start menu, it applies to all other UI elements of Windows too.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:53:06 pm by ka-la » Logged
Tom Blow
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 02:56:01 am »

It' s called DPI settings and no, you can do it via WSB, see the box on top of the Image View ? Select the start button and change the DPI setting, It' ll change the start button for larger DPI

Edit: there are siome weaknesss about DPI too. First who ever going to use your theme has to change the DPI setting, and the second is that DPI doesnt only apply to taskbar/start menu, it applies to all other UI elements of Windows too.

Hi ka-la thanks for the reply but I'm a bit confused about a couple of things. Firstly what's the difference between DPI (Dots Per Inch) and PPI (Pixels Per Inch)? Lastly what exactly does the DPI setting in WSB do?

Thanks. Tom
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 03:04:45 am »

Hi ka-la thanks for the reply but I'm a bit confused about a couple of things. Firstly what's the difference between DPI (Dots Per Inch) and PPI (Pixels Per Inch)? Lastly what exactly does the DPI setting in WSB do?

Thanks. Tom

DPI and PPI these days are pretty much synonymous of each other. The DPI setting in WSB tells you Windows will use a larger image for larger DPIs.

For example if you want to make a image for 120dpi you'd add the property mindpi1:int = 120 and import the image in imagefile1:filename
Tom Blow
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 03:27:33 am »

DPI and PPI these days are pretty much synonymous of each other. The DPI setting in WSB tells you Windows will use a larger image for larger DPIs.

For example if you want to make a image for 120dpi you'd add the property mindpi1:int = 120 and import the image in imagefile1:filename

So just to make sure I've understood this correctly, if I wanted to use a bigger Start Button as I've previously mentioned I'd have to increase the DPI setting in WSB?
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 05:14:53 am »

So just to make sure I've understood this correctly, if I wanted to use a bigger Start Button as I've previously mentioned I'd have to increase the DPI setting in WSB?

No, you can't use a larger start button unless you change the DPI in Windows. Though it makes everything bigger.
Tom Blow
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 05:41:23 am »

No, you can't use a larger start button unless you change the DPI in Windows. Though it makes everything bigger.

Sorry to be a pain but what does the DPI setting in WSB do then? Huh?
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 05:56:30 am »

Sorry to be a pain but what does the DPI setting in WSB do then? Huh?

Which part are you talking about specifically? The mindpi property?
Tom Blow
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 06:36:39 am »

Which part are you talking about specifically? The mindpi property?

What other DPI settings are there in WSB? No sarcasm intended.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 07:05:19 am »

All they do is tell Windows to use a larger image when a certain DPI is set.
ka-la
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 10:13:01 am »

Panda, I think he means whats the point of them, well heres the deal:  lets say deafult is 96DPI and you set it to 120DPI, then you see everything is bigger, but it does not resize the original start butto ( 96DPI one). It uses diffrent image. Thats why they are in WSB. Do an experiment change the deafult size start button you see it works with 96DPI but change an DPI to 120DPI and then use same theme, you see the deafult Windows 7 start button again. Change the start button of 120DPI in WSB and works again Smiley
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:31:54 am by ka-la » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 01:46:51 pm »

WTF?

Hey Tom, in Windows 7 WSB has NOTHING to do with start button images. They are in Explorer.exe.....
ka-la
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 01:51:57 pm »

Wait, 3am, you are damn right  Cheesy , how did I forget Smiley , well anyways the main thing remains same, there are many avriants of diffrent sizes of start buttons in there for diffrent DPI
Tom Blow
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 09:27:42 pm »

WTF?

Hey Tom, in Windows 7 WSB has NOTHING to do with start button images. They are in Explorer.exe.....

Sorry bad example but I think I understand now so thanks 3am, Panda X and ka-la. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: