Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I am needing some image and text color help, in the shellstyle I think?  (Read 13870 times)
iJesse
Beginner

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:53:47 pm »

rajtheeban
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:02:28 pm »

1) for the text of dialogbox: Styles > TextStyle > BodyText
But there is a problem: you can change the type of font (normal, bold, underlign etc), but i tried and i think it is impossible to modify the color; i tried adding textcolor: property but without effect; you must know this modification changes also others fonts....

2) for the text in shellstyle: Fonts, Colors & System Metrics >MENUFONT:FONT

here also a problem: at first you can change only the type of font (not the color i think ), and this change modifies others fonts of your VS, for example in context menu...

hope there is another methode to realize these modifications without all these problems 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:08:26 pm by rajtheeban » Logged
iJesse
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 12:33:00 am »

Thanks, but I am needing to change the color, and the only way I have found to change the color is in the shellstyle.dll and I am needing guidance with that.
K-Johnson
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 02:53:19 am »

Those are changeable in the Shellstyle  Wink.  As rajtheeban showed in the pictures, by default, changing one property inside the MSSTYLES will also change other parts.  Why is this?  Because inside Shellstyle file there are many font="gtf(TEXTSTYLE, TEXT_BODYTEXT, 0)" statements.  What does "gtf()" mean?  It means "Get Theme Font".  And it does exactly as the name implies...

It looks inside your theme MSSTYLES file for (TEXTSTYLE, TEXT_BODYTEXT, 0).  But you say "Huh?" -- what is (TEXTSTYLE, TEXT_BODYTEXT, 0)?
(TEXTSTYLE, TEXT_BODYTEXT, 0) is this inside VSB:  (Styles > TextStyle > BodyText, state)... if there are no states (Normal, Hot, Pressed, etc.), then the blue parameter should be 0.  Note:  By default, "gtf()" method will look at the FONT:FONT property.  If you want it to look at a different property like GLYPHFONT:FONT, you will have to add a fourth parameter (explained in the steps below)).

What's the significance of "gtf(TEXTSTYLE, TEXT_BODYTEXT, 0)"?  Thanks to PandaX's research, we are now able to understand what each parameter stands for and can now modify the argument to point at our own property with our own value.

By doing this we can avoid much of the sharing between global variables.
The statement "font="gtf(TEXTSTYLE, TEXT_BODYTEXT, 0)"" appears many times inside the Shellstyle.  The difficult part will be to find what each one modifies, but with patience you can figure it out.

If you're still a little unsure of what I'm exactly talking about, try this out.  It should clear up any confusion:

1.  In VSB, go to Styles > TextStyle > BodyText
2.  Click on the "Add Property" button and select a FONT property... it doesn't matter which one you choose.  I will use STATUSFONT:FONT in this example.
3.  Change the value to something crazy, like Wingdings, Bold styling, and size 16 font, so you can immediately notice the change.  Save the change.
4.  Now open up Shellstyle/UIFILE/1 in your Resource hacking program.
5.  Find (Ctrl + F) this line:  <if id="atom(ProperTreeLinksHeader)">
6.  You should come across this <if> block.  I'm using default Aero shellstyle.dll, yours may look a little different.
<if id="atom(ProperTreeLinksHeader)">
<Element
foreground="themeable(argb(255, 139, 139, 139), windowtext)"
background="themeable(argb(255, 252, 252, 252), window)"
padding="rect(9rp,9rp,0rp,7rp)"
font="gtf(textstyle, TEXT_BODYTEXT, 0)"
/>
</if>

7.  We will modify the blue statement (above) to look for STATUSFONT:FONT property.  If you look in the Property Identifier page, you will see a list of numbers that pertain to the specific FONT property amongst other properties.  In this example, I used STATUSFONT:FONT property so I will remember the property number 804.
8.  The font="gtf(textstyle, TEXT_BODYTEXT, 0)" statement is currently linking to the default FONT:FONT property in Styles > TextStyle > BodyText.  Since we don't want to use default FONT:FONT property, we will introduce a fourth parameter to the statement.
9.  Remember the property number in step 7?  Good.  What you have to do now is place the property number (804) behind the third parameter in font="gtf(textstyle, TEXT_BODYTEXT, 0)".
10.  The font statement should now look like this:  font="gtf(textstyle, TEXT_BODYTEXT, 0, 804)"  Now save your Shellstyle.dll.
11.  Change theme and change back to the theme with that holds the Shellstyle.dll file you just modified.  This will refresh the Shellstyle.dll file.
12.  Open Explorer and you should now see your Favorites text change Smiley

Like I said, there are many instances of "font="gtf(textstyle, TEXT_BODYTEXT, 0)".  You will have to find which one changes which.  I suggest you use Notepad++ program with View set to XML to make the DuiXML look more friendly and readable.

As for the orbs, I haven't found the image for the SaveAs arrow orb, yet, but I may set aside some time to hunt that little bugger down (along with the Control Panel navigation bullet which might even be a font  Huh? (just like Start Menu arrow is Marlett font).

Good luck!
K-Johnson
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 05:05:50 am »

Oh, I explained for text.  Just apply the same logic to text color "gtc()"
K-Johnson
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:59:28 am »

Actually, I'm not sure anymore if you can change only the color of "File name: & Save as type:" in Shellstyle.dll  Sad

I found where to change the font in the Save As dialog (File name: & Save as type:) in Shellstyle without it messing with other fonts, but it completely ignores the foreground="" statement!  Angry

Search for <style resid="saveappcontrolsstyle">
I can change the font here, but like I said, it ignores the changes to the foreground="" statement as changing it doesn't affect it.

And what's worse is that I didn't even add the statement.  It seems like the Shellstyle acknowledged it at one time but for one reason or another decides to ignore it now.  Perhaps there is a place to control this area specifically in MSSTYLES?  I am not talking about global property WINDOWTEXT:COLOR.

Times like these I wish I can paste color properties everywhere in one click except for the Global section to see whether or not a specific part will adopt the new color property within its scope instead of inheriting from the Global property!

Then at least I would know that there is a way...

--

But anyway, the Details pane works fine.  Just follow the logic steps a few posts up.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:06:50 am by psygn » Logged
iJesse
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 05:53:28 pm »

Thank you Psygn You have helped tremendously!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: