Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Color changes when element has transparent areas.  (Read 19227 times)
geoken
Beginner

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2008, 04:38:16 pm »

I'm not sure if this is related to VSB or if it's Aero itself that's doing this, but it seems that the color of two elements with the exacts same properties change if any portion of that element are completely transparent.

For example, I have the PROGLIST and PLACELIST in the start menu at the exact same color and opacity level. When I test there is no difference between the 2. If I make a portion of the PLACELIST completely transparent (ie. I make a rounded edge or make the size of the image smaller than the canvas) the opacity or color or tint of the object somehow changes and there is a visible difference in the colors of the 2 objects that were previously identical.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 05:03:47 pm »

Quote from: "geoken"
I'm not sure if this is related to VSB or if it's Aero itself that's doing this, but it seems that the color of two elements with the exacts same properties change if any portion of that element are completely transparent.

For example, I have the PROGLIST and PLACELIST in the start menu at the exact same color and opacity level. When I test there is no difference between the 2. If I make a portion of the PLACELIST completely transparent (ie. I make a rounded edge or make the size of the image smaller than the canvas) the opacity or color or tint of the object somehow changes and there is a visible difference in the colors of the 2 objects that were previously identical.
Could you provide a screenshot?
geoken
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 08:22:33 pm »

The image below is using the exact same resources with no prperties changed. The only thing I did is go into the PLACESLIST resources and move the image down a few pixels so there could be a gap at the top. As you can see there is a slight color difference between the 2 images.

The artifact occurs with any part of the start menu. For example, if I left a gap at the top of the program list resource you'd see the color difference between the program list area and the more programs area.
AndreasV
Administrator
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 11:30:36 pm »

This might be an unwanted side-effect of the auto alpha-fixing algorithm. Could you try to import the image using the IMPORT button while holding shift?
geoken
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 12:09:32 am »

Quote from: "AndreasV"
This might be an unwanted side-effect of the auto alpha-fixing algorithm. Could you try to import the image using the IMPORT button while holding shift?

That worked like a charm, thanks.

Is there any way I can make that the default behavior since my image editor (Fireworks) already makes compliant png's?
AndreasV
Administrator
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 12:31:58 am »

I'll add an option for that soon :)
geoken
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 12:51:02 am »

Quote from: "AndreasV"
I'll add an option for that soon :)

Awesome. Thanks!
DerekHauffe
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 09:00:33 pm »

Hi, I'm currently experiencing the same problem. I've tried holding down the shift key while clicking the "Import" button, with no visible effect.

Here's a pic illustrating the problem:

I'm using Win7 Styler 1.5. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is my first effort on a visual style.

Derek
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:25:19 pm by DerekHauffe » Logged
K-Johnson
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:56:51 pm »

Last time I asked, it was confirmed an alpha conversion bug.
This bug also creates the ugly pixelated gradient banding/steps which can be seen when your graphic contains transparent gradients to areas like the taskbar.

Strangely, this doesn't show if you use Reshacker/Restorator to replace the images themselves.

Here's how I get around this when using VSB:
1.  [Photoshop] Create image -> Save .PNG
2.  [AlphaConv.exe (http://blizzle.com/releases.php?id=1751)] Convert that .PNG to .BMP
3.  [Photoshop] Select all and Copy Merge the original image (the image in step 1) -> Open newly converted .BMP -> Paste original image on top of converted .BMP and fill in the "Background" layer with black (#000000)
4.  [Photoshop] Save this image as a BMP with File Format: Windows and Depth: 32-bit.
5.  [AlphaConv] Change target format to .PNG and drag the newly created .BMP file into there.  Proper alpha conversion is now applied to this image.

Now replace it in VSB like you do any other image.  The discoloration and gradient banding should disappear and your graphic untouched.
It is a bit of a tedious process, but it gets the job done for now...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:58:10 am by K-Johnson » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: