Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone help locate these icons?  (Read 5243 times)
Jon434
Beginner

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2021, 06:08:51 am »

From the Style builder guide PDF that's floating around online..

https://i.imgur.com/PTCgHle.jpeg

The icons that I am talking about, are the folder icons located between 5 and 6.  The go up one level and create new folder icon.

Is it possible for Style Builder to edit them?  I'm looking at editing both for Windows 7 and Windows 10 styles.  I understand if they aren't in the msstyles file.. because I have had no luck finding them but does anyone know where else they might be?  In terms of the exe or dll?  There's also a favourite icon that shows up from time to time as well (a yellow folder icon with a star inside of it).
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 01:13:36 pm »

The good news is that they are bitmaps 124 and 130 in comctl32.dll.

The bad news is that they are in comctl32s located in a number of files inside the winsxs folder instead of the ones in System32 and SYSWOW64.

The really bad news is that I'm not sure which of these files is actually being used to generate the bitmaps so you'd have to change them in every file.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 11:06:47 pm »

If you still care in Windows 10 there are just 2 relevant files:

Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.19041.1110_none_a8625c1886757984_comctl32.dll_9c499789

Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.19041.1110_none_60b5254171f9507e_comctl32.dll_9c499789

and one relevant bitmap 124:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 11:09:13 pm by 3am » Logged
Jon434
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 03:50:29 am »

Amazing!  Thanks for that!

I've had so much trouble locating these over the years, or even finding it being talked about in terms of knowing what to search for.

When I searched my Windows 7 system, there was 24 different files in that folder (and the sub folders).  Four different versions (sizes).  I ended up doing a .res file and using Resource Hacker to patch them all at the same time with a script.  But once you find the names of the right ones and write them down it's not so hard, even if you wanted to do them one by one.  I imagine these probably change with every major Windows update.   So Windows 10 for example, they'd need updating over time.

There's also the amd64 version and x86 version to worry about.  The main annoying thing about that folder is how they are named, but using search and search by type *.*.dll worked pretty well.

There was an older program from 2007 where the new icons worked but the alpha layer was black, and showing through on the background.  Is that likely a problem with the program itself in terms of the way it was coded?  I was thinking to fix that, I could colour the background and use 24bit bitmaps, but for now I'd prefer to keep the alpha layer so that they work properly with different coloured Windows themes.  My current toolbar background is 244, 244, 244 and it would look worse if that ever changed.  I rarely use that program anyway.  I was just wondering if there was anything I could have done wrong in terms of making the bmps?  Because they work fine for all of the modern programs.

It's bugged me for so long and now I can finally change them.  Thanks a lot for your fast helpful response.  Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I just wanted to confirm that everything works.. and I replaced all of the bmps, not just 124 and 130.  So it took some time as I had to create some icons from scratch.  It's a pain to change those files since they float around in different folders, so I figured I'll do them all at once.  The results were great!  Thanks again.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 01:46:43 pm »

It's been a long time since I had to go into WinSxS to find something. Those bitmaps must be ancient.
Jon434
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 09:19:36 am »

7-Zip is one program that still uses them.  Just the up one level icon next to the path.  The rest of the toolbar icons are changeable in the exe.

There's a few other random ones, some of them are very old yeah.  The one with the dodgy alpha bitmaps was pre 2011 I think, I don't use it.. so I just deleted it.  Like you said, most programs don't use these anymore.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: