Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What version for Win10 themes?  (Read 14896 times)
Catus Infinitus
Beginner

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2017, 10:37:43 pm »

Hey everyone,

What version should I use to create and edit Windows 10 RS 1 themes?

I know the one that you are linked to when you buy a license is only for Vista and 7. The beta, however, only seems to go up to 8.1. Do I need a file or version that I have overlooked?

Many thanks in advance!
Catus Infinitus
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 07:18:49 pm »

As I've had a fair number of views, yet no reply thus far, I reckon I should formulate a more specific question.

What I was hoping to find out, is if version 1.5.6.3 Beta will allow me to (1) create and (2) modify msstyle themes for Windows 10 Creators Update. If yes, what would I need to do in order to make compatible themes?

By way of experimentation, I have tried to modify a theme that works perfectly on Windows 10 Creators' Update (Sagorpirbd's Aero theme, to be precise), yet when I applied the theme I got the dreaded 'black screen' (in spite of the 'Black Screen check' being enabled). I didn't actually change much - just a few bits of the description, to see what would happen. If I could prevent such a thing from taking place I'd be a very happy modder. :-)
Splitwirez
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 10:43:22 pm »

From my experience, the Windows 8.1 mode works, although the classmaps are kinda screwy by default. Mr. GRiM released some updated Windows 10 ones somewhere...I'd link to them if I knew where they were.

As for the black Screen issue...from my experience, that's just some kind of Windows 8+ problem with the "Apply style after compiling" feature, testing should still work. I've always avoided it by just saying "no", and applying the style via a Theme, although that's on Windows 8.1, idk how you'd apply a style from a theme on 10. Presumably you know that much, though, given that you mentioned the style works "perfectly" on CU, seemingly implying you'd tried it yourself.

Apologies if any of this is old news or otherwise incorrect, I've scarcely messed with Windows 10. I mainly deal with 8.1, and thought I'd left this thread to those more experienced with 10's ins and outs than I, but evidently they're oddly silent right now, so I guess it's my turn to (hopefully) do a helpful. Hope this helps Azn
Catus Infinitus
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 07:26:30 am »

From my experience, the Windows 8.1 mode works, although the classmaps are kinda screwy by default. Mr. GRiM released some updated Windows 10 ones somewhere...I'd link to them if I knew where they were.

As for the black Screen issue...from my experience, that's just some kind of Windows 8+ problem with the "Apply style after compiling" feature, testing should still work. I've always avoided it by just saying "no", and applying the style via a Theme, although that's on Windows 8.1, idk how you'd apply a style from a theme on 10. Presumably you know that much, though, given that you mentioned the style works "perfectly" on CU, seemingly implying you'd tried it yourself.

Apologies if any of this is old news or otherwise incorrect, I've scarcely messed with Windows 10. I mainly deal with 8.1, and thought I'd left this thread to those more experienced with 10's ins and outs than I, but evidently they're oddly silent right now, so I guess it's my turn to (hopefully) do a helpful. Hope this helps Azn

Thank you - that is very helpful. I'll see if I can find those classmaps.

I've applied visual styles before, on both Windows 8 and 10, but never really dabbled with making them myself.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 12:49:14 pm »

1) Beta is good in rs2

2) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\AveApps\Windows Style Builder\Data\Win8.1

and replace the Win8.1 folder with the attached one made by MrGrim which contains customized xml files for WSB.

3) Don't know why you get a black screen unless I know exactly what you are doing
Catus Infinitus
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 06:52:25 pm »

1) Beta is good in rs2

2) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\AveApps\Windows Style Builder\Data\Win8.1

and replace the Win8.1 folder with the attached one made by MrGrim which contains customized xml files for WSB.

3) Don't know why you get a black screen unless I know exactly what you are doing

Many thanks for these! Once I've done a trial run I'll let you guys know how I've fared.
Catus Infinitus
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 09:37:22 am »

As promised, I'm checking back in to report on my progress.

I had a bit of time to experiment today, so I put the new Win 8.1 xml files in the Data\Win8.1 folder. I then launched Windows Style Builder and set it to Windows 8 mode (no Windows 8.1 mode seems to be available). Subsequently I used the 'Import 7 theme' function to open one of sagorpirbd's themes, as I knew this one to work on my system. I changed a few bits of the description, saved the file, and closed the application. After modifying the .theme file to point to the new msstyle filename, I applied the theme using the Windows Personalization panel (still available if you create a folder for it). I then got a black screen, as before, and had to use system restore to make Windows operable again.

I think I am going to wait a while before I use the Style Builder again. Hopefully its creators will update it so that it fully takes into account the quirks of Windows 10.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 12:57:04 pm »

Why did you use the import 7 theme option for a windows 10 theme that was already working in 10? Makes no sense.

If it's a windows 10 theme you don't have to set it to a theme mode

Did your changes test?
Catus Infinitus
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 03:55:19 pm »

Why did you use the import 7 theme option for a windows 10 theme that was already working in 10? Makes no sense.

If it's a windows 10 theme you don't have to set it to a theme mode

Did your changes test?

Well, no, it doesn't - but it's the only option offered by the fold-out menu. I've just noticed that clicking on 'open' also offers the option of opening a style, though, so I'll give that a go later on.

To be honest - and I am aware that the application is not officially supported on Windows 10 - I find the interface very confusing. There's a Windows 8 mode and a Windows 8.1 folder, yet there is no option to import 'Windows 8 styles' or to activate a 'Windows 8.1 mode'. Also, I cannot remember ever having seen another application where a button seemingly does something that is different from the various options proferred by the fold-out menu that it also activates.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 11:08:23 pm »

Yeah the interface is confusing for beginners. If you want to use the old one just click View and uncheck the ribbon. You can toggle back and forth if you want.

Here's a video I made 7 years ago about basics using the old interface:

https://www.vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fd2ff4aab06f30358c82265564d329ba&topic=1268.0

Don't worry about modes and imports. Modes are automatic. If you want to know more about imports read and use this:

https://www.vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=98406a917b0023f27dc489df06fb2af8&topic=2325.0

Yeah WSB isn't officially supported in 10 but it works in 10. You'll never see anything mentioned in the interface beyond 8. Thats the last time it was updated.
Catus Infinitus
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 07:31:12 am »

Yeah the interface is confusing for beginners. If you want to use the old one just click View and uncheck the ribbon. You can toggle back and forth if you want.

Here's a video I made 7 years ago about basics using the old interface:

https://www.vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fd2ff4aab06f30358c82265564d329ba&topic=1268.0

Don't worry about modes and imports. Modes are automatic. If you want to know more about imports read and use this:

https://www.vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=98406a917b0023f27dc489df06fb2af8&topic=2325.0

Yeah WSB isn't officially supported in 10 but it works in 10. You'll never see anything mentioned in the interface beyond 8. Thats the last time it was updated.

Many thanks! This is very helpful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: