Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Porting themes to Win10 tutorial TH2 AKA 1511 AKA 10586  (Read 6626 times)
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2015, 11:02:09 am »

I made my own custom import scripts and style scripts to make the job allot easier, you will need a Windows 7 theme if you want to import to Windows 10, importing a Windows 8 theme will not work but it can be used to make style hacks.

I have attached 2 versions of my Windows Style Builder for this method, 10 v1 and 10 v2, note I have not included the WSB exe files,just copy them from your installed WSB folder.

Using Windows Style Builder 10 v1 import the Windows 7 theme, save it then reopen it and test it to make sure it imported correctly.

At this point you would normally have to fix a whole bunch of stuff, my custom import scripts fix 99% of the problems importing.

Now using Windows Style Builder 10 v2 import a Window 8 theme without saving, then start exporting all parts of the Windows 8 theme aside from the DWM parts, including the DMW parts in the Windows 10 (For testing purpose only), DWM parts cannot be made into style hacks, then export all marked properties to a style hack.

Now on the imported Windows 7 theme apply the style hack and then test the theme to make sure there are no errors.

Unfortunately there is a bug in WSB when creating style hacks, it will only export the first 2 states of a part, 0 and 1 so if you need to copy other states then this will have to be done manually.

Once you have done that you can manually change and fix any of the DWM parts and your done.

When creating style hacks you can also right click on individual properties and include them in your style hack, this can be useful when trying to make a stylehack for states other then 0 and 1, or if you only want certain properties from a state or part.

I have also included a few extra style scripts that can be useful for importing themes to Windows 10, some of these were made before I made a proper import script so they are no longer needed.

It's always a good idea to create a restore point or test on a VM when importing themes in the case that something goes wrong.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 04:44:10 pm »

I'll see if I can update WSB to allow custom DWM mapping here soon. The problem is that for 8 and onwards I was just using some old porting code which hardcoded the DWM property maps to the newer states. So it was like part x = part y. I should be able to use XML like the other half of the conversion process to make porting easier.
Mehdroid
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 11:11:29 pm »

Thank you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: