Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Start>All Programs glow text  (Read 14303 times)
xyl360
Beginner

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2015, 03:59:21 pm »

Greetings,

I was wondering how to add a glow to the text for items in the 'All Programs' scrollable list contained within the Start menu.  I didn't believe it was possible at first until I found and tested this theme which has it.  Unfortunately I was unable to replicate it within my own theme even though I copied every image and value that, as far as I can tell based on the many tutorials here and elsewhere for WSB/VSB, should apply to this area of the Start menu.

http://swapnil36fg.deviantart.com/art/Clear-3-0-glass-448153611

The attached ZIP folder contains a screenshot of the Start menu with the All Programs menu expanded using that theme.  I circled the area in the image I'm referring to for clarity.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 05:38:42 pm »

Are you using StartIsBack and/or glass8 like he recommends? The glow is probably applied through one or more of them.

Why are you asking Windows 8 questions on the Windows 7 board?
xyl360
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 07:52:39 am »

Are you using StartIsBack and/or glass8 like he recommends? The glow is probably applied through one or more of them.

Why are you asking Windows 8 questions on the Windows 7 board?
Sorry, that must not be the theme I thought it was it just has a similar name.  The theme I'm using is a Window7 theme as I don't even have Windows 8.  I do indeed have a Windows 7 theme here where the Start menu All Programs text glows as in the image I attached to my last post (that image is from my Windows 7 system).
xyl360
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 07:55:37 am »

Sorry, that must not be the theme I thought it was it just has a similar name.  The theme I'm using is a Window7 theme as I don't even have Windows 8.  I do indeed have a Windows 7 theme here where the Start menu All Programs text glows as in the image I attached to my last post (that image is from my Windows 7 system).
Here's a copy of the Windows 7 theme in question so you can see for yourself.  Just test it in WSB on 7 and check the Start>All Programs sub-menu.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 03:17:39 pm »

That msstyle you sent won't even test.

But I played around and got this which looks like your picture:

By adding/changing these properties:

at Start Menu > Menus > Aero > KeyBoard:TreeView
    Start Menu > Menus > Aero > Hover:TreeView
xyl360
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 06:30:16 pm »

Excellent, thanks Smiley

What is that last item listed "Inherited Properties: Color"?  I added/modified all the rest of them as listed under both locations you listed but got no glow so whatever that last entry is, I suspect I need it.  Is it 'int' or something else?
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 10:41:44 pm »

That inherited Color > Color property makes no difference.

Did you remember to uncheck COMPOSITEDOPAQUE?  That is necessary for the glow effect.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:46:02 pm by 3am » Logged
xyl360
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 11:25:03 pm »

That inherited Color > Color property makes no difference.

Did you remember to uncheck COMPOSITEDOPAQUE?  That is necessary for the glow effect.
Yes, I created it and unchecked it under each.  All that did was make it so the area under each highlighted menu item is completely transparent.  There must be some other setting, perhaps under a different area that is preventing the glow from working for me there.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 12:00:35 am »

Like I said the msstyle you sent in the zip file wouldn't even test for me so there's got to be something wrong with it. It could be anywhere.

I got the glow testing in default Aero.

So I don't know what else you might be doing wrong.
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 03:52:59 am »

That cg.msstyles works, you need to remove the TextColor property from Colors Global and Fonts, System metrics, maybe it needed a custom shellstyle.dll to work normally.
xyl360
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 11:57:29 am »

That cg.msstyles works, you need to remove the TextColor property from Colors Global and Fonts, System metrics, maybe it needed a custom shellstyle.dll to work normally.
Thanks, your tip lead me in the right direction.  While I did not have a 'TextColor' property under either of those areas, I did have a 'TEXTGLOWSIZE:INT' and 'GLOWINTENSITY:INT' settings under 'Colors (Globals)', each of which were set to a value of '0'.  Once I changed them to '9' and '200' accordingly (just test values, I'll tweak them in a bit) the glow for my Start>All Programs menu items showed right up Smiley.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: