Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't make Style Builder to work  (Read 7708 times)
serraios
Beginner

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2015, 06:47:48 am »

So, I ve got the latest Style Builder version 1.563. I recently installed windows 10 and I am trying to make small changes in fonts and font sizes.

What I do is copy the aero.msstyles file and copy it to a different folder. Then I click test -without having modified anything- just to make sure that it works and I get an Error Testing aero.msstyles file.

Initially I thought that I hadn't patched up uxtheme properly as I ve used uxtheme multipatcher 14.2. Then I downloaded UltraUxthemepatcher 3.03 which says that the files have been patched properly.

What am I missing?

PS. Font names appear as gibberish too.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 06:51:34 am by serraios » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 01:43:17 pm »

I don't know why you are having a problem. Here's what I do:

1) I first test the default aero.msstyle to make sure it is testing
2) I copy aero.msstyle, the shell folder and the en-US folder to a new folder
3) I test it and save it and test again
4) I remove the en-US

I never have any problem doing it this way.

I have attached a folder containing everything. It tests and saves fine for me.

Only problem is that I'm running build 10547. I'm not sure if that msstyle will work on whatever build you are using.

If you like you could attach a folder containing the necessary stuff from whatever build you are using and I'll test, save and send it back to you.

I don't know what else to tell you
serraios
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 07:58:05 pm »

Thanks, I ll try that.

Is the problem perhaps that I am not using a beta Windows version, but the latest version?
serraios
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 08:07:08 pm »

Ok, I did it the way you suggested, it works. So, Style builder needed the shell folder to work i guess.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 09:13:22 pm »

1.5.6.3 is the beta
serraios
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 11:53:45 pm »

No, I meant a beta version of windows 10 not windows style builder.

FWIW, I made it work, but both files give me errors when testing at random types. It's really haphazard.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 12:39:25 am »

What error messages?

Here's some tips:

1) When you open your msstyle make sure it's testing before you do anything.

2) Sometimes WSB will just close when you press Test. Reopen it and Press Test again until it tests

3) Once it tests it will continue to test

4) Do your work in short sessions. Like maybe 10 minutes or less. Then Save it and continue working. WSB will sometimes crash if you use it too long. Keep saving and you won't lose a lot of work. I save constantly.

5) If WSB crashes check your Testing folder in Windows > ProgramData > Windows Style Builder for the latest saved version of your msstyle. Rename it and open it in WSB. This way you will only lose what you did after your last save

6) It's a beta so it has some problems. Use it enough and you'll learn what they are and how to avoid them. It's not perfect but better than nothing at all
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: