Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open/Save dialogs Nav Bar - first open = glitch?  (Read 14050 times)
JebDude
Beginner

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2015, 06:07:25 pm »

I'm trying to edit a theme I found online, and stumbled across this.

The first time you open any Save/Open dialog you get the following (red highlight):

Each subsequent opening of a Save/Open dialog looks normal (red highlight):

This is not just true for Save/Open dialogs in WindowsStyleBuilder.  It happens in any application.  To replicate, I just close the application and try an Open or Save command from a toolbar or menu.

There seems to definitely be more than one type of Save/Open dialog.  The different layouts are apparent, so it's only this style of Save/Open dialog that is affected (that I have noticed so far).

-=-=-= My Config =-=-=-
- I'm on Windows 8.1 Update 1.
- I'm using the latest WSB v1.5.6.3 Beta
- The theme I'm modifying is called Jarvis
Link: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/61541-Jarvis-Windows-7-Theme-By-Tornado

I'm also using UxStyle for applying themes.  I'm not using UltraUXThemePatcher.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:00:20 pm by JebDude » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:56:52 pm »

I have never heard about your particular problem before BUT you could try these two NavBar fixes:

1) Theme it correctly using Panda's instructions here: http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1911.msg10806#msg10806

2)  Use OldNewExplorer and try checking/unchecking "Enable Glass On Navigation Bar"

I noticed your link is to the Jarvis theme for 7. Why not try editing ones already ported to 8.1 like:

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/66691-Jarvis-Windows-8-1-1-Theme

http://drakulaboy.deviantart.com/art/Jarvis-Win8-466497887
JebDude
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 09:22:28 pm »

I noticed your link is to the Jarvis theme for 7. Why not try editing ones already ported to 8.1 like:

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/66691-Jarvis-Windows-8-1-1-Theme

http://drakulaboy.deviantart.com/art/Jarvis-Win8-466497887

Hah... oy.  Good point.  I'll try all that, plus the NavBar fixes, and report back.  Thanks!
JebDude
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 11:35:52 pm »

Ok here's the first bit.  Tried the Jarvis 8.1.1 theme and it still does the same thing.  I'm also gonna show another problem that seems to be related, though it is quite different.  At this point I'm just trying to figure out what is a "theme problem" and what is a problem with the application that seems to not be taking the theme.

In some applications, the toolbars won't take the background color specified.  Also moving the sub-toolbars around causes repaint problems.

A quick ugly fix involves performing a minimize/maximize and then redraw/toolbar issues are resolved temporarily.

I'm confident this is an application problem, but I'm wondering if any of you guys have seen this one before?  If so is it a theme problem?

I'm definitely trying to use this Jarvis theme to find my way around WSB.  I've learned a lot by searching the forums and tinkering, but this one (and the first problem I posted) has me stumped.  I haven't tried the "proper" theming of the NavBar yet.  Not totally sure what the author of this theme did exactly.  But I'll find out!
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 11:55:05 pm »

This one looks like an App problem.

I have apps that take theme colors, others that do so partially and others not at all.

The first one though doesn't seem so as it happens all the time.

I'd recommend using the OldNewExplorer fix.  Depending on what you want to do you might need the program anyway.
JebDude
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 04:25:00 pm »

Here's my software setup:
- Win 8.1 Pro
- WSB v1.5.6.3 Beta
- UxStyle

NOTE: I switch off between using OldNewExplorer depending on what I'm experimenting with.  In this example it's not enabled.

I finally got around to experimenting with the original question from the original post:

I've noticed that even in aero.msstyles there seems to be some conflicting properties between what is inherited vs what is set on the following paths for NavBar stuff:

Code:
Toolbars, Headers, & Rebar > Rebar > NavBar > Basic > Max > Inactive > Background
Toolbars, Headers, & Rebar > Rebar > NavBar > Basic > Max > Active > Background

Here's a snapshot from the listed properties in WSB:

Given the apparent redundancy I tried clearing those duplicate un-inherited properties out.  The result was unstable and ugly:

As you can see the NavBar is colored properly (mostly), but now the rest of the Personalization window is all futzed up.

I tried following Panda's method for properly theming the NavBar and got the same result, but I'll be honest I probably missed something.  I'm going to try again, but I wanted to double-check on this apparent conflict/duplication of properties.  Is it me, or does that not look right?

On a related topic, is it possible to use any combination of properties in an msstyles file?  Such as using BGFILL types instead of images or vice versa in any given element?  Or is it not quite that modular?

EDIT:  I got Panda's bit to work!  It seems the more I tinker with someone else's theme, as opposed to the default Aero, the more problems I get.  I guess I should stick with modifying a copy of default aero until I find my way around WSB better...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:36:14 pm by JebDude » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 04:45:43 pm »

1) Don't remove "un-inherited properties". That makes no sense. Stop overthinking inheritance.

2) In your picture the Nav Bar is colored. The white part is the AddressBand

3) If an element calls for an image then use an image.
JebDude
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 01:01:11 am »

Yes sir!  Thanks for your patience.  I'm starting to get the hang of this!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: