Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Left/right borders cut off in theme on laptop (1600x900)  (Read 15456 times)
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2015, 05:35:52 am »

Guys, I don't have a way to get to my wife's laptop right now, so the screenshot below is of my own desktop.....I edited the pic to show the issue she's having on her lappy that I'm wondering how to fix.

My wife's laptop has a resolution of 1600x900 (Windows 7 Ultimate x64), she is using Mr.Grim's HUD Machine Pink theme, and her left & right borders are chopped off like in the screenshot. The little lights in the theme that are on the borders, the ones which show whether-or-not the window is active are just cut completely off, like in this screenshot.  Huh?

I've tried adjusting her resolution, etc., which does nothing useful. Of course.

I'm wondering if it's the theme, that it doesn't have the stream calculations or something for her resolution? It's like the theme thinks it's in full-screen mode (no left/right borders) when it's not. This doesn't happen with default themes or any other theme.  Any help would be appreciated.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:33:28 am by JMB » Logged
Albertt To
Beginner

Why not?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:44:01 am »

Make sure that the option "Show shadows under windows" is checked

JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 11:08:20 am »

Make sure that the option "Show shadows under windows" is checked

You're awesome! Cheesy Something soooo simple, and I missed it! DERP. Tongue Thanks a million man. I was almost ready to go through a freaking repair install on her 'puter!  Whoa Whew!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:15:48 pm by JMB » Logged
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 12:41:54 pm »

Well I spoke too soon. The fix you suggested IS the one which SHOULD HAVE done the trick, but it's still not doing it for her laptop. Show shadows under windows is checked. I've un-checked it, re-checked it, restarted the computer, troubleshot aero, etc., for almost an hour. The basic HUD Machine Pink theme doesn't cut off the borders (shadows), but the aero version does. And again, the default aero theme (Windows default) does just fine.

FOR SOME REASON HER COMPUTER ISN'T RENDERING THE HUD MACHINE PINK IN AERO.

I suspect her graphics card is shot. Before I installed the theme on her computer, I was afraid of something like this happening. Because her screen often flashes (black and light) when booting up; it has done that for a long time. It's a cheap-o HP Pavilion lappy, a few years old. Piece of crap. Had bad reviews from a lot of people, I found out after we got it. Even simple games cause her screen to flicker and stutter when full-screen. It's not a virus, we have Kaspersky 2015, and I'm pretty savvy about system-protection. It's just a p.o.s. 'puter. Guess it's just time to junk it and buy another.

Like I said, you DID give me the correct fix, I know you did. I tested unchecking and checking 'Show shadows under windows' on my own computer, and it gave me those expected results. So I thank you.....Just made no difference on her laptop.
BTW: when I ran the Troubleshooting tool to detect and fix problems with aero, it switched her theme to the default Windows Aero theme, and, in the 'details' area said that the previous theme doesn't support aero.....Which is poppycock. It works awesomely on my desktop, full aero-enabled, in all its glory, no disabled borders/shadows.

Her computer is apparently about to bite the dust. The HUD Machine Pink theme is just too graphics-intensive for it. Huh? Oh well, she's not bent out of shape about it; she'll play on it until it dies. She's not a computer-freak like me. I FREAK OUT when some tiny little quirk happens on my desktop! As long as she can play her online bubble-shooter type games, she's happy as a clam. Plus she doesn't keep anything on it, just a few pics. My computer is chock-full of documents, pics, graphics, music, movies, etc. It's an entertainment center! I am a nazi about backing-up with Acronis and keeping it in peak condition.

We'll just stash away a little new-computer money for her XMas I guess. Thanks again for your help friend. Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:19:00 pm by JMB » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 01:17:53 pm »

Seeing I don't have the msstyles or your wife's laptop to check:

1) Are the left and right frame images correct?

2) Could it be a shell32 problem? Latest Windows Updates for 7 replaced the shell32 with default

3) Or another system file problem? I know HUD comes with a bunch of extras

Just some thoughts off the top of my head
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 01:24:40 pm »

Seeing I don't have the msstyles or your wife's laptop to check:

1) Are the left and right frame images correct?

2) Could it be a shell32 problem? Latest Windows Updates for 7 replaced the shell32 with default

3) Or another system file problem? I know HUD comes with a bunch of extras

Just some thoughts off the top of my head

Everything is as it should be except those borders/shadows. And I've un-installed/re-installed it 3 times. Works perfectly on my desktop. It's Grim's installer, an inno executable, un-modified.
I also re-did the customizations on both computers after Patch-Tuesday's updates. Her problem began a while ago, though, before these new updates.
I just think her computer has 'had it'. Like I said, it has always flickered and stuttered, even shortly after we got it. Should have returned it way back then.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:26:33 pm by JMB » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 01:41:07 pm »

Well if it works fine on your computer but not hers then make sure everything in that "Performance Options" window is exactly the same on both computers.

Otherwise I have no idea
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 02:52:38 pm »

Well if it works fine on your computer but not hers then make sure everything in that "Performance Options" window is exactly the same on both computers.

Otherwise I have no idea

Yea, they're exactly set the same. It's her laptop. It just can't deal with all the shiny, rich colors and sharp graphics of the theme I guess.
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 06:00:07 pm »

Are the shadows visible on any other themes?
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 10:07:08 pm »

Are the shadows visible on any other themes?

Yea, other themes look normal on her computer. But we haven't tried any other high-tech ones, like the other HUD themes. Only regular deviantART-type stuff like Placebo, etc. And the HUD Machine Pink looks normal on MY computer....but not on her laptop for some reason.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: