Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with transparent png: color value get messed up... bug?  (Read 22652 times)
crapulejack
Beginner

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2009, 11:49:02 pm »

I have problems editing those transparent pngs and i begin to suspect VSB and / or BcMapFixer to be the source of the problem. I really cant beleive that there are nobody else with that problem...

ive tried with photoshop cs3 and the Gimp, both gave me the same bogus result..

i try to edit lets say the explorer::treeview::glyph image.

i open in PS/GIMP, lock the alpha channel, then set all pixels with the rgb(192,255,0) value. looks good. Inspecting the pixels show me clearly that the color for every pixel (even the fully transparent ones) is correctly set to (192,255,0). Save, close the image.

I re-edit the image immediately after. Pixels that have the (128) alpha value now are rgb value of (81,128,0) !! The pixel color value has been cut by half. Fully transparent pixels color value show (0,0,0). wtf??

I tried using gimp to "save as" and tweak the png options: even with "save transparent pixel color" option on and no compression i have this bug. Then i tried to save on the desktop instead and reload; pixels were correct.

I want that explorer treeview glyph to be rgb(192,255,0) with an alpha of 128!!!

and beleive me ive searched for help elsewhere before asking here... weirdly there doesnt seems to be anybody out there that complains about something like that..

Please tell me ive done something wrong or that bcmapfixer.exe has a bug that will get fixed..
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:52:18 pm by crapulejack » Logged
unconn3cted
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 09:11:49 pm »

the same problem here
even though i wass just so excited to customize everything - i changed first transparent png in photshop [ just lowered its opacity by 60% ] and eveything in my taskbar went very messy.  If anyone found solution for that please let me know.
a.
sunbeam2000
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:23:43 pm »

No Bug, it's one of the best functions WSB has.

WSB rerenders the images fitting to WindowsDWM when importing.

but for example exported, overworked and then reimported pics get messy..

try holding shift, when importing those image. then it imports the image, as it is..

unconn3cted
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 03:23:35 pm »

Thanks Sun for you anwser.
i see that when i do import with shift and change a little in current design like add the line to the buttons it works fine. However if i do more complicated things like messing up with some opacity or gradient maps in photoshop and then apply the whole thing becomes a big mess.

please take a look at screenshoot :

its a anoying since the only reason i bought that software was to change those buttons. And when i finally find the way to change it, it wont work as planned. Smiley

help me if you have any ideas how to fix that
a
unconn3cted
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 08:16:08 pm »

thanks for the answser i will try 32 depth but it think in photoshop this is custom to save with 32,
anyways if anyone can help please let me know,
thank you
a.
sunbeam2000
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 08:35:32 pm »

WindowsDWM seems to have a problem with white gradients, so they get rerendered at import for correct display

"shift import" ignores it, but in most cases its not useful, the images get messy, when importing something with white gradients (opaque parts stay correct)

i see only one way: completely redrawing the image with 100% own content, then standard import

Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 11:22:39 pm »

WindowsDWM seems to have a problem with white gradients, so they get rerendered at import for correct display

"shift import" ignores it, but in most cases its not useful, the images get messy, when importing something with white gradients (opaque parts stay correct)

i see only one way: completely redrawing the image with 100% own content, then standard import

DWM uses correct PNGs and VSB ignores the alpha fix. It's GDI that's sucking so bad and VSB still has a alpha import bug causing gradients to mess up.
Katsuo
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 01:59:18 pm »

Same problem here...

K-Johnson
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 07:12:27 am »

This is the most annoying bug to me as it wastes a lot of my time.  Can Ave fix this?  Is he too busy?  What's up?
sunbeam2000
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 09:35:12 am »

i guess, Ave already has left WSB a long time ago..

the homepage isn't actualized since ages...
and panda was working on WSB1.6..
now he is off for a undefined timeperiod..
we have to live with 1.5 and the "bug" for now..

anyway, i have absolutely no problems with that "bug".
everything works perfect and i very often use white transparent gradients.
WSB doesn't like exported, overworked and reimported images..
but new images all work fine..
but at last i switched from Photoshop to MicrosoftExpressionDesign3 (the update license is very cheap on amazon)
and the images come very sharp and clear..

i highly recommend it, check the 60day trial..
it's all vectorized and it takes some time to come in, but it seems, Windows and WSB like the PNG's made with it..
AndreasV
Administrator
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 03:40:32 pm »

We are working on 1.6 features... This bug is particularly hard, since the current version uses a smart filter for the alpha fix which sometimes fails unfortunately.
unconn3cted
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 04:13:10 pm »

I imagine its probably hard to fix as im working in company that is developing software as well. Such transformations and opacities could be real pain in the ass. I will try going through MicrosoftExpressionDesign3 and see if it helps. I certainly hope so.

thanks and keep us posted if anything will be changed on that matter.
a.
K-Johnson
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 06:50:34 pm »

Thanks for the update, Ave.  Sorry if I came off sounding rude, I'm just a little frustrated with this bug just as you probably are.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: