Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Add tree item in VSB for additional states  (Read 10810 times)
xyl360
Beginner

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2015, 02:01:26 am »

Greetings Smiley

I'm working on a 7 theme attempting to set an Active and Inactive state for the Background image in Explorer & Shell>Menu Bar>Background.  What I want to do is replicate the behavior provided for the same menu bar for other applications in Lists, Menus & Tabs > Menu > BarBackground where it provides sub-tree items for Active and Inactive.

So far I've been able to add all of the identical properties to the Background item, including IMAGECOUNT:INT 2 and I imported the same custom image into BarBackground that I used for Background, however, even when I save/reload the skin, no sub-menu items are shown under Background (though I can see them if I click the image preview and use the dropdown menu at the top, though they are labeled as 1 and 2 and it provides no mechanism for me to modify those labels).

I assume that perhaps it's simply not possible to add the active/inactive attributes for the menu bar in Explorer, but it would be nice if at least VSB would let me try by allowing me to add custom tree items so I'd know for certain rather than just locking me out from doing so.

If anyone knows how to do this (assuming there is a solution), please let me know.

Thanks Smiley
xyl360
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:10:53 am »

Never mind, I just read this thread.

One thing though.  I did attempt to edit the XML to add the locations I referred to above, but it only seemed to break the file causing many of the normal locations not to display properly (names missing, replaced by numbers) and still the 2 new sub-menu items I attempted to add were not visible/accessible (neither by name or number).

Honestly, it would be much easier if there were a stylehack out there for what I'm trying to do, but I haven't been able to find one so far (though perhaps that's because it's simply not possible/wouldn't work).

I really hope there's a way to do this.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 02:59:52 pm »

It doesn't seem possible.

Here I added active and inactive states to the classmap.xml for Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Menu Bar > Background.

Then I moved the image and all the properties and values from Lists, Menus, & Tabs > Menu > BarBackground there.

But there was no color change between active and inactive states. It stayed red (the color of the active image) Sad

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:05:52 pm by 3am » Logged
xyl360
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:12:15 pm »

That's a bummer Sad.

Thanks a lot for testing/checking for me though; I definitely appreciate it and it saves me a ton of work digging into the XML again and trying to figure out how to do it.  I guess MS just doesn't allow for the same flexibility in that aspect of the UI.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 10:13:03 pm »

I attached the Class Map where I added the states so you can see how I did it.

Just look for Default::Rebar which is the Explorer Menu Bar.

I also looked to see if this was referenced in any system file UIFILE with zero result.

So it looks like you are out of luck.
xyl360
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 12:45:47 pm »

Thanks for putting in all that research and effort to find out for me, I appreciate it.  You saved me a lot of time, energy and headaches trying to continue to dig for a solution.

It's too bad it wasn't possible.  It seemed like such a simple/feasible idea but I guess you can never tell what MS' files/themes will allow and what they won't.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: