Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Editing system files in System32 via Restorator -"The page failed to load" error  (Read 10427 times)
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2014, 01:22:25 am »

I've been getting these errors trying to edit certain files in my System32 folder...
My most recent attempt, some code in the PerfCenterCPL.dll, nothing complicated....

I'm not too much of a noob at coding, have done these types of hacks before, but for some reason even the simplest edits are resulting in this "The page failed to load" error.

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64, using Restorator 2007 (V3.70 build1709)

I'm copying my target file to desktop, editing, taking ownership/renaming the old one, replacing, restarting explorer (or rebooting)....no joy.
I know that certain files also require modding in the SysWOW64 folder, but I don't think PerfCenterCPL does. And my attempt to edit Authui.dll the last time led to blackscreen!, even though I did everything correctly...

Any insight would be appreciated my friends!  Smiley (did I hear "you ain't holding yer mouth right!"?, lol)  Tongue

Also, can anyone tell me where the gradient inside the red area is?

Using Resource Hacker and HxD hex editor, I've managed to make use of these tips on editing the PerfCenterCPL from 3am and charleston2378 (getting rid of the lines and boxes)...:
http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1666.0
http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1583.0

...and editing the images in WinSATAPI.dll via Resource Hacker is good...but I'm stumped as to why editing via Restorator is fudging the files....

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:21:05 am by JMB » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 05:35:11 am »

The gradient is:

Fonts & System Metrics > WINDOW:COLOR
Buttons, Boxes, & Controls > Scroll Bars & Trackers > TrackBar > BORDERCOLOR:COLOR

(<if class="perfhub_details_table"><element background="themeable(gradient(gtc(TrackBar, 0, 0, 3801), window, 0) in UIFILES 101 and 102)

Don't know why you are getting that "the page failed to load" message.

The authui blackscreen likely means you made an error in your edits.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:47:21 am by 3am » Logged
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 06:16:10 am »

The gradient is:

Fonts & System Metrics > WINDOW:COLOR
Buttons, Boxes, & Controls > Scroll Bars & Trackers > TrackBar > BORDERCOLOR:COLOR

(<if class="perfhub_details_table"><element background="themeable(gradient(gtc(TrackBar, 0, 0, 3801), window, 0) in UIFILES 101 and 102)

Don't know why you are getting that "the page failed to load" message.

The authui blackscreen likely means you made an error in your edits.

Yayyyy! Buttons, Boxes, & Controls > Scroll Bars & Trackers > TrackBar > BORDERCOLOR:COLOR did it:

Thanks for your help once again, mate.  Smiley I've just decided to stick with Resource Hacker until I figure out what's up with my Restorator 2007.

No mistakes in editing the authui; I only dragged/dropped corresponding images from another working authui (same kind, same version). It's gotta be my Restorator 2007.  

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:05:25 pm by JMB » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 02:16:36 pm »

I can only find cracked versions of build 1709. That might be your problem.

I have build 1747.
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 02:28:53 pm »

I can only find cracked versions of build 1709. That might be your problem.

I have build 1747.

That very well could be it. Guess I'll have to contact Bome and see about getting a legit copy. I got this copy from an acquaintance a few years ago.

Until I get a good copy, I guess Reshacker does the trick. Just requires a few more steps.

Hey thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:41:21 pm by JMB » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 02:39:49 pm »

Try to get the half price student version.

They don't check to see if you're an actual student. It's still expensive but worth it
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 02:46:28 pm »

Try to get the half price student version.

They don't check to see if you're an actual student. It's still expensive but worth it

Ok. (I removed the capture. Didn't need a quote for 1 license, duh.).  Whoa Student version is the way to go, straight from the site.

40 dollars is steep! But much better than full price for sure.  Smiley  

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:55:13 pm by JMB » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: