Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard-to-see text in some menus...  (Read 16459 times)
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2014, 03:07:08 pm »

Guys,

I know that certain 3rd-party software have their own embedded menu backgrounds and text colors which can't be changed in WSB, and that dark vs almost always have at least one issue having to do with text somewhere.....
I also know that some text in Windows is 'hard-coded' and can't be changed from the msstyles---although some can be fiddled with by modding the shellstyle.dll---....

But, in my Work Nite Shift vs, there seems to be some serious issues with BTNTEXT (which I can neither color solid black or solid white, having to use some in-between color like light blue, because the text won't show on certain popups in both Windows and 3rd-party stuff like browser-notifications, etc.) and other text/menu-related areas. It's really driving me bonkers trying to figure out what is causing the issues! I've tried adding fillcolors to popup backgrounds, fillcolorhints, adding text colors to places, testing, testing, testing, undoing, redoing, yadda, yadda, yadda...   Huh?

I'm getting comments from people who are using the vs, all of them saying that they love the thing except for the un-readable text on certain menus...
Here's just one example, a screenshot from someone at deviantART:

If one of you fine fellas can either tell me what I need to do to fix the vs...or download the msstyle from here: http://y-n-1-f.deviantart.com/art/Work-Nite-Shift-vs-for-W8-1-484586729  and take a look, I'd appreciate it very much.
3am, MrGrim, Dave Senior, you guys have already been a huge help. I've learned a whole lot so far from the tutorials here and from tips that you guys have given (but learning is an ongoing process, no?), and I so appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance!  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:18:13 pm by YourNumbr1Fan » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 03:18:10 pm »

What am I looking at? Is this a default flyout or from some other software? If it's default how can I get it to show in order to test changes?

If you can get it to show to test changes then just do a color search or color replace in WSB for the background and textcolor ( which looks like 242,242,242) and start testing changes.
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 03:21:45 pm »

I admit I'm not sure exactly what this particular menu is...The user at DA said it was a "Windows" menu, but it looks like something other than that, right?

I'll search and test 242, 242,242...Thanks man.

3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 03:25:59 pm »

The trouble is you have a lot of textcolors with that color and unless you can see that menu in order to test your changes you will never know which change works
Dave Senior
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Why Windows 10 ? > 7 8 9 ??

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 03:31:11 pm »

Try  the textcolor here  -->
Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Menu > Toolbar
There will be  other stuff to theme here too,try enable the desktop  from the taskbar > right click > toolbar options to test it.
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 03:33:03 pm »

The trouble is you have a lot of textcolors with that color and unless you can see that menu in order to test your changes you will never know which change works

I asked the person to tell me exactly which menu that is in the screenshot, but haven't gotten a response yet. I do know that some of my own 3rd-party software menus are the same way....and I can adjust the BTNTEXT color and make them a bit more readable, but never solid black or solid white.

I'll try that too, thanks Dave.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 03:40:53 pm »

Desktop Classic Menu background is at Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Menu >Toolbar > Button
                               textcolor is at Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Menu >Toolbar > Textcolor:Color
                               border is at Fonts & System Metrics  > Btnshadow:Color
                               arrows are at Fonts & System Metrics > Menutext:Color
                               scroll button background ( not shown) is at Fonts & SystemMetrics > Menu:Color
                               scroll button arrow is Fonts & System Metrics >BTNTEXT:COLOR
This is also the background etc for Links Toolbar PopUp Menu

If that's what it is
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 03:42:31 pm »

Just found this Windows area that's similar:

(Software Director, from the cp)

JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 03:43:24 pm »

Desktop Classic Menu background is at Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Menu >Toolbar > Button
                               textcolor is at Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Menu >Toolbar > Textcolor:Color
                               border is at Fonts & System Metrics  > Btnshadow:Color
                               arrows are at Fonts & System Metrics > Menutext:Color
                               scroll button background ( not shown) is at Fonts & SystemMetrics > Menu:Color
                               scroll button arrow is Fonts & System Metrics >BTNTEXT:COLOR
This is also the background etc for Links Toolbar PopUp Menu

If that's what it is

Trying now, thanks.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 03:46:37 pm »

That Software Detector gradient is something else.

Is that some 3rd Party app. I don't have it
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 03:52:19 pm »

That Software Detector gradient is something else.

Is that some 3rd Party app. I don't have it

(solved) Fonts, Colors, & System Metrics > Fonts & System Metrics/ WINDOWTEXT

I feel so stupid now! (it was something so obvious!) So it looks like I'll have to find a color that will show clear on both my vs dark backgrounds along with white/gradient backgrounds...something which won't make the vs too ugly....

Thank you guys! Wink

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:59:43 pm by YourNumbr1Fan » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 04:14:18 pm »

See taskbar map in maps
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 01:31:45 pm by 3am » Logged
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 04:39:15 pm »

Smiley Thanks a mill, 3am, will definitely be bookmarking this.  Smiley

Problem: I don't see how I can change the white background of the green area, when there's a button at that location (Desktop Classic Menu background).... Huh?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 04:55:18 pm by YourNumbr1Fan » Logged
JMB
Dedicated Themer

aka YourNumbr1Fan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 05:07:05 pm »

Smiley Thanks a mill, 3am, will definitely be bookmarking this.  Smiley

Problem: I don't see how I can change the white background of the green area, when there's a button at that location (Desktop Classic Menu background).... Huh?

Quoting myself,

Nevermind, found the background. It's actually at  Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Menu >Toolbar, rather than at  Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Menu >Toolbar > Button like you have...

Colored the 5x5 image from white to 50,50,50...and changed my text color, added a hot text color, toned the hot button down a bit:

Thanks so much, man! Now I think this vs is 'fixed' as well as can be expected with a dark, non-aero theme. And yep, this was the area (toolbar) from the user at DAs screenshot.  Cheesy  I didn't even know it was messed up, cause I never use these types of toolbars from my taskbar. Good to know, so that I'll remember to skin it in future themes.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:41:00 pm by YourNumbr1Fan » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 08:45:44 pm »

Yeah. It can either be:

Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Menu > Toolbar
Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Menu > Toolbar > Button > Normal

I changed it in the map.
I rarely ever look at that area and the map is almost 5 years old
Pages: [1]