Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: system32 folder not changing with style  (Read 30364 times)
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2013, 06:07:28 pm »

i have a theme .. and when i apply it both in windows and style builder the color of the TXT will not change in the system32 folder .. my OS is win7SP1 64bit  , all the other folder appear fine and change with the theme but cant get the txt color to change in this particular folder .. its diong my nut in .. lol  Angry

any ideas ?

thanks for reading, replies will be appreciated  Wink

cheers Paul !

3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 07:10:05 pm »

The textcolors there shouldn't be any different from other explorer windows.

Show a picture and point out which textcolor isn't changing
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 07:42:39 pm »

The textcolors there shouldn't be any different from other explorer windows.

Show a picture and point out which textcolor isn't changing

here are 2 screen shots of the problem the first one is with the theme , and the second was creating a theme from scratch just altering the background colours of the folder and the TXT color .. as you see both have the same result !

JoCe-from-France
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:53:15 pm »

EXPLORERFRAME.DLL BUDY !!  Cheesy
cheerz

you gotta tweek the 40960 UIFILE. Man can just recommand the thank-god-it-exists resource replacer http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1290.0

have a good time !!

bytheway : your thread title is wrong : it's not about "system32 folder" but "explorer window files & folders names color text" + it shouldn't be under the "bugs" section, but inside the "Windows 7 help" ...

BUT : having something different in sys'32 than in other folder is weird as hell. I can't figure it out. very strange...
although i don't remember exactly the structure of explorerframe (it's been a while), since there's different kind of folders types inside shellstyle (generic, documents, music, photos.....), it's gotta be something like this inside explorerframe no ? I'm not convinced anyway, I'm curious to know about this
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:14:45 pm by JoCe-from-France » Logged
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:28:17 pm »

thanks for your reply but as im new to win7  style builder .. ive no clue what your on about and sounds and looks so complex ... as im unaware if this was or was not a kind of bug then to me its in the right section in bug reports as to me winstyle builder is not addressing the issue when theming windows or patching a file if need be !
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 10:41:12 pm »

It's because you have a compressed or encrypted folder in there (the one with the blue text).

Go to Folder Options in the Control Panel and uncheck "Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS Files in color" and reopen System32 and you should be ok.

In fact check and uncheck a couple times if necessary
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:43:22 pm by 3am » Logged
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 11:25:04 pm »

thanks for your reply 3am .. i think your on to something ... i did what you suggested a few times but there was no change .. i still had the black txt ... so i decided to click restore defaults in folder options .. and as i had the system32 folder open on desktop the txt changed from black to grey as it should be according to the theme but as soo as i navigated away from system32 and back again it reverted back to black txt again .. it only seems to display the grey txt each time i press the restore defaults option to folders .. then changes back as soon as i navigate away and back  Huh?
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 11:33:48 pm »

another update i thought it was going grey on the event of restoring folder options .. where i was mistaken .. it seems if you make any changes to folder option by ticking and untick any option then applying the txt goes to grey but it still reverts back to black when i navigate away from the folder and return to check it !  Huh?
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 11:53:43 pm »

Try restarting Explorer or rebooting after unchecking "Show Encrypted or Compressed NTFS Files in color" in Folder Options
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 12:53:15 am »

i did what you said ... unticked that file ^^^ i ended Explorer in task manager then restarted it ... then i also rebooted the PC for good measure .. still no change  Cry
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 01:12:02 am »

That works for me. But I also have a modified ExplorerFrame.dll and that might be why it's working.

If you can either attach your msstyles and your explorerframe.dll from System32 in a zip file here or upload them somewhere and send me a link I'll play around with them.

Maybe I can fix it
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 01:27:58 am »

send me your email address and i shall zip the theme up im currently using along with a copy of ExplorerFrame.dll from the system32 folder  Wink

3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 01:42:11 am »

just attach it here. or pm a link. add your shellstyle too
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 02:00:01 am »

ive just uploaded them now ! let me know if you get it as ive just signed up to mediafire for the first time !

http://www.mediafire.com/download/82jkgk0d1xffaf0/Theme%20Files.rar

thanks for helping out  Smiley
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 02:23:21 am »

Here's your msstyles with your shellstyle and explorerframe. Only things I didn't change were your bitmaps in explorereframe which shouldn't have any effect.

So the problem isn't there because it all looks fine.

So the problem has to be in SysWOW64 explorerframe. I'll check it tomorrow
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 02:29:10 am »

ok thanks .. do i upload the Explorerframe from SysWOW folder next time ?
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 02:33:24 am »

No need. You already did along with shell32 for both system32 and sysWOW64. Also explorer.exe.
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 02:45:37 am »

them are the files that came with the theme .. not from my system !  the copy of explorerframe i uploaded seperate folder to the theme files came from the system, but the SysWoW64 is not from my system should that matter .. anyway il PM the link just incase save messing about
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 03:03:36 am »

Oh. I'll check the OTHER exploreframe then tomorrow lol

Nothing wrong with msstyles, shellstyle, explorerframe or shell32 that came with the theme. I did notice the explorer.exe has png images when they should be bitmaps

SysWOW64 system files are irrelevant here.
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 03:15:26 am »

Have you tried any other dark themes to see if the problem is still there, maybe it's time to restore all system files and start fresh, you could try running sfc /scannow to restore any modified system files, then patch your system again and try a few themes to see if the problem still exists, failing that you could try a repair install, this will load fresh files and also restore all services and registry entries to default, this method will also keep all your files and programs unlike a clean install, if that doesn't fix it then the final option may be a clean install, I had a friend on my site that had a problem just like this, he kept on having the text in explorer turning black when using dark themes, at first he thought it was my themes causing the problem, in the end he gave up and did a fresh install and it was fine after that.
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 03:33:00 am »

thanks for your advice mr grim .. ive seen some of your work here and there (Good Stuff)  ... im abit reluctant to alter or repair files .. 1/ ive just had a clean install last week .. lol as i changed the motherboard and a few other bits  and 2 /.. its only that file .. saying that it will get on my nerves .. lol  Huh? .. but il take on board and consider it ... there shouldnt be much wrong as like i said a fresh install last week and i know which system files ive changed because i always back them up anyway .... and i patched the files this morning .. so we will see what becomes of this for now and hope for the best

cheers Paul
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 05:20:33 am »

Well, everything checks out here.

You're sure you sent me the one giving you trouble because my picture looks a lot different than yours?

Maybe your theme patcher is bad. Try Uxstyle.

Otherwise I have no idea. Everything looks good here
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 12:07:39 pm »

well ive been messing around and that system32 folder is read only ... and when you test the theme in winstyle builder, the control preview window that comes up and select boxes .. there it says that folders that are read only that the txt is black ?  but as we are suppose to be changing it .. i dont know why it doesn't  ... ive tried to change system32 from read only .. and to have full control by changing permissions .. but i get greeted with access denied by a number of files and some are related to Norton Internet Security .. i did disable it but it still refused permissions and the txt didnt change .. what im going to do next because ive messed about to much as in folder permissions and the like is do a lights out restore .. so it wont be that bad restoring the system as we all know its a pain to get back where we was .. then for a moment im going to uninstall Norton and see what happens when i try to change this bloody txt .. lol
formula
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 01:20:00 pm »

Well im back again ... sent the PC back in time to 13 days ago pre theming saga and any alterations to any file .. and it looks like the problem has gone ... god knows what it was because i backed files up before i do any changes , anyway thank the lord for Norton lights out restore .. im only missing a few programs , which was neither here or there .. it does save time that ! but thank you for all your time and effort its been appreciated  Wink

Paul

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: