Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Easier skinning idea  (Read 11204 times)
link6155
Beginner

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:12:28 am »

Hey fellow skinners,

I've only been using WSB for 2 weeks now and I think it's great! The only problem for me is that even with the organize tree list, I still find it hard to find the resources I'm trying to edit. Sure you can go to the "Maps" section on the forums, but it's hard to search through the topics to get what you want sometimes. So I'm here to introduce my idea of how WSB could be easier to use (Not a complete concept, just proof of concept):

On top is the ribbon and on the bottom is the navigation panel. You can parts of the theme you want to edit from this panel. To edit a certain resource, you can click within the preview of what you want to edit (shown in concept above). This will make WSB easier to navigate because you can tell where everything generally is and tell what you're editing. This will also let you see what your theme looks like without testing it.

Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 04:36:48 am »

Such an idea is planned for the future, the problem is however the previewing a proper example. Because some parts will accept certain properties, while others won't.

Though I do quite like the concept, reminds me of the old StyleBuilder for XP.
mdtauk
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 12:24:27 pm »

Having a preview option has always been a feature I have wanted.  It would move this kind of theme design away from being a purely techie activity, to something more visual for us designers.
gtjgtj
Beginner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 03:36:01 pm »

I like the Idea from link6155.
The old XP Stylebuilder was a nice tool, too.

Any parts from XP Style builder here and other parts from Windows/Vista Style Builder there...
Why not take the best from both worlds?
That could be more fun to change a Windows style. And if it is easier I think more people would try to do that (and buy the Windows Style Builder)  Wink

But I am very happy that the Windows Style Builder actually exists! Thanks for it  Cheesy
mdtauk
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 08:50:29 pm »

If the preview is implemented, a before and after toggle would be helpful also and possibly highlighting of changed values so you can quickly see what's changed, and what hasn't
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: