Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems Applying Metrics  (Read 11101 times)
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:40:17 am »

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but I found when changing metrics such as caption button sizes and borders that it will change fine when testing but not when applying from the personalization menu, it seems that whatever size was last tested in WSB is stuck for all themes changed in the personalization menu, is this something to do with metrics being removed from the advanced options in personalization in Windows 8 that can now only be forced using WSB or is there another way new metrics can be forced now when changing to a new theme in personalization?
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 05:18:08 am »

I don't entirely know if this works as I never use the Personalization control panel, but if you apply a theme via WSB and save 'Unsaved Theme' from the control panel, do the metrics get saved under the [Metrics] section too? If so you could just use that theme it creates or copy the metrics section out and paste it into your .theme you made.
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 06:41:39 am »

Yeah I tried that but they do not get saved and I also tried importing the metrics from a Windows 7 theme file and it didn't have any effect on it.
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:54:24 am »

So has anyone else experienced this yet or have any work around for it?
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 01:16:44 am »

Personally I've never had the control panel able to apply a theme, not sure what problem you're having. Sorry.
drakkar1969
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:33 am »

When applying a theme from WSB, windows metrics get written to the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics.
But the .theme file created by WSB when saving a visual style does not include a [Metrics] section (neither does the default Aero theme, nor is the section created when saving a custom theme from the Personalization control panel).
So basically the windows metrics saved by WSB when applying a visual style never get overwritten when applying a .theme file from the control panel.

Would be awesome if WSB's .theme export function included the [Metrics] section
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 10:40:57 pm »

I haven't the slightest clue as to how it works though. It's just a bunch of binary: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb773190(v=vs.85).aspx#metrics
drakkar1969
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:07:15 pm »

The two values in the metrics section, IconMetrics and NonClientMetrics, are decimal representations of the ICONMETRICS (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648054(v=vs.85).aspx) and NONCLIENTMETRICS (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff729175(v=vs.85).aspx) structures.
The members of these two structures correspond to the registry values at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
Dave Senior
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Why Windows 10 ? > 7 8 9 ??

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:20:12 pm »

....I added metrics and nothing happened,no effect at all.
Tried the same things as Mark Grim,same result .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: