Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Version 1.3 with Windows 7 Support Released.  (Read 52335 times)
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:25:41 am »

Version 1.3 Changelog:

Code:
+ Add: Initial Windows 7 Support.

It's here, just in time for the Windows 7 Beta. Tested and works in both x86, and x64. Ave and I have spent some time working on compatibility. Enjoy!
AndreasV
Administrator
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 01:29:35 am »

It was mainl Panda X pushing this one, btw. So thank him  Smiley
geoken
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:38:07 am »

How can we patch the system?

I downloaded the UXTheme patch floating around but I'm lost. I've always used automated patchers in the past. Can you guys give a quick rundown of how to patch?
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 04:01:03 am »

How can we patch the system?

I downloaded the UXTheme patch floating around but I'm lost. I've always used automated patchers in the past. Can you guys give a quick rundown of how to patch?

Use take control (http://www.askvg.com/take-control-easy-way-to-take-ownership-of-system-files-in-windows-vista/) then drop the files (themeservice.dll, themeui.dll, and uxtheme.dll) into C:\Windows\System32\ overwrite (don't forget to make backups) reboot.
mdtauk
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 06:25:03 am »

Quicker than I ever imagined, one question however, does this include an X64 patch for the Windows 7 Theme files.

Also one other note, have you explored the possibility of integrating shellstyle.dll editing, and perhaps even the new Scenic.dll editing, for the Windows 7 Ribbons?

EDIT: Why are there entries for the Start Menu and taskbar which are from vista's MSStyles, will this export MSStyles which are compatible with Vista also, or is it too early to remove them at present?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:29:05 am by mdtauk » Logged
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 06:33:27 am »

Quicker than I ever imagined, one question however, does this include an X64 patch for the Windows 7 Theme files.

Also one other note, have you explored the possibility of integrating shellstyle.dll editing, and perhaps even the new Scenic.dll editing, for the Windows 7 Ribbons?

EDIT: Why are there entries for the Start Menu and taskbar which are from vista's MSStyles, will this export MSStyles which are compatible with Vista also, or is it too early to remove them at present?
They won't be compatible. MS has yet to take them out.
mdtauk
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 06:39:04 am »

So the application shows everything in the msstyles, and the developer hasn't pieced them out and organised them?

This would explain the slightly wild formatting and organising of all the elements.

Perhaps this would be an idea for the future, find a nice arrangement for all the many elements, properties etc or even allow a designer, to re-arrange all the entries from the treeview, into categories.  I mean all msstyles are in one format...
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 06:49:56 am »

So the application shows everything in the msstyles, and the developer hasn't pieced them out and organised them?

This would explain the slightly wild formatting and organising of all the elements.

Perhaps this would be an idea for the future, find a nice arrangement for all the many elements, properties etc or even allow a designer, to re-arrange all the entries from the treeview, into categories.  I mean all msstyles are in one format...
Slightly wild? Explain how and I'll fix it. Though when making it I had to separate Vista from Windows 7 so I put everything in the Windows 7 Tree.
mdtauk
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 07:07:50 am »

Well I would say its the fault of the MSStyles format itself

There are lots of Aero and Basic seperations but half the Aero elements are empty, and the Aero properties are taken from the Basic entries, which means for example with Windows Frames.  All the visual elements for the DWM frames are in the Aero > DWM Window listing, but you also have Aero > Window, and Basic > Window.  3 separate entries to control the same bits, which technically are separate, but for the user/designer, is just alot of confusion.

If there were an option to hide unused entries, and for all the entries to have some kind of explaination caption, or even a screenshot, it would make it easier to find what controls what.

Also if you could re-organise the entries on the left, into your own categories, you could find all the explorer window elements, put a descriptive caption on them, and keep them all together.

The app is amazing at making sense of these msstyles file, but all the items on the left derive their name and position from the original file (I assume) but for editing and designing your own styles, can come across as confusing.
geoken
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 02:10:33 pm »

If there were an option to hide unused entries, and for all the entries to have some kind of explaination caption, or even a screenshot, it would make it easier to find what controls what.

You can hide entries which don't contain an image by putting "image" in the search bar.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 06:00:23 pm »

Well I would say its the fault of the MSStyles format itself

There are lots of Aero and Basic seperations but half the Aero elements are empty, and the Aero properties are taken from the Basic entries, which means for example with Windows Frames.  All the visual elements for the DWM frames are in the Aero > DWM Window listing, but you also have Aero > Window, and Basic > Window.  3 separate entries to control the same bits, which technically are separate, but for the user/designer, is just alot of confusion.

Also if you could re-organise the entries on the left, into your own categories, you could find all the explorer window elements, put a descriptive caption on them, and keep them all together.

The app is amazing at making sense of these msstyles file, but all the items on the left derive their name and position from the original file (I assume) but for editing and designing your own styles, can come across as confusing.

Aero > DWM Window: Aero windows
Aero > Window: Basic styled windows when DWM/Aero is enabled.*
Basic > Window: Basic window.

* Example here.
geoken
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 12:19:15 am »

Is anyone with a patched files running 64bit? I finally got everything patched but on first boot dwm crashes and Win 7 doesn't boot. Are the 3 files that are circulating 32bit only?
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 12:31:20 am »

Is anyone with a patched files running 64bit? I finally got everything patched but on first boot dwm crashes and Win 7 doesn't boot. Are the 3 files that are circulating 32bit only?
Yeah.
geoken
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 12:43:53 am »

I hope 64bit ones come up soon. I've already made a made a tweak of the default msstyle with all the blue toolbars toned down but I have no way of using it.
satukoro
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 10:19:40 pm »

So, the Win7 support works well? Man, this is a bad time for my Vista Laptop AC Adapter not working! I'm currently stuck on my Mum's laptop (Winxp) and she won't let me install Win7! Curses!

Also, does the XP Import work with Win7?
sunbeam2000
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 12:17:21 pm »

the 1.3 version isn't compatible to vista anymore..

i installed it, and worked on my theme, saved the progress, but the theme couldn't be activated anymore.
(the image numbers were renumbered to 5digits etc..)

i reinstalled 1.2.5 and everything is okay again.

can i install VSB1.3 on my win7 partition with the same license or do i have to buy a second license?
K-Johnson
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 12:21:37 pm »

Hmm, I'm rockin VSB 1.3 on Vista.

Haven't installed W7 yet, though.  Strange..
satukoro
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 01:23:32 pm »

Ahh! Does anyone know if there is a 64bit uxtheme patch yet?
DJ Gx
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 03:24:30 pm »

I have the same problem too.
I can't get it to work on windows vista 32 bit
drakkar1969
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 05:57:42 am »

I'm working on a basic theme and when i try to apply it with v1.3 nothing happens
Sem
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 01:02:25 pm »

x64 uxtheme finally out Smiley

http://www.withinwindows.com/uxtheme-patches/
tytynono
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 07:33:30 pm »

the 1.3 version isn't compatible to vista anymore..

i installed it, and worked on my theme, saved the progress, but the theme couldn't be activated anymore.
(the image numbers were renumbered to 5digits etc..)

i reinstalled 1.2.5 and everything is okay again.

can i install VSB1.3 on my win7 partition with the same license or do i have to buy a second license?
My 1.3 version don't work too, I no longer have the 1.2.5 version  Cry ; please Andreas upload the 1.2.5 version on download link given in the very first e-mail ,thanks  Cheesy
satukoro
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 05:54:05 am »

Ave! Version 1.3 makes Vista freeze whenever I attempt to run it. I did a fresh install of Vista Ultimate and had to re-install VSB, but it doesn't work now. I don't understand why it freezes Vista, one would think that the program itself would crash and display an error message. Please send us a link to or re-upload VSB 2.5. This is really inconvenient.
jakobs
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 08:26:59 am »

tried to get him in msn a few times but he simply ignores it
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:30:50 am by jakobs » Logged
satukoro
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 01:29:19 pm »

Ave's been cool with everything up till now, but what is this?
Spitzen
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Windows 7 Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 02:01:43 pm »

Hm, I have the "old" version of VSB, so i could upload it somewhere...but I don't think ave tolerates this
satukoro
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 08:58:32 pm »

I don't think Ave would tolerate that.
Spitzen
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Windows 7 Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 09:07:11 pm »

I don't think Ave would tolerate that.

And why did you send me a message with the content that I should send you this version?
sunbeam2000
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 09:18:40 pm »

i've installed 1.3 on Win7..

@panda: keep it up, please.

it needs some work, the test mode even with original theme messes up the start menu.. it has to be rebootet after this..
but it's a good idea..  will try first steps in win7 skinning with it..
satukoro
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 10:51:08 pm »

Wasn't it called 'Vista Style Builder' for a reason?
AndreasV
Administrator
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 11:01:41 pm »

There is a workaround for this issue here: http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=200.0 .
geoken
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 11:45:31 pm »

it needs some work, the test mode even with original theme messes up the start menu.. it has to be rebootet after this..
but it's a good idea..  will try first steps in win7 skinning with it..

You don't need to re-boot. Just change the theme in the personalization menu.
satukoro
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 03:19:32 am »

Has anyone else found another work-around for VSB not working on Vista x86?
sunbeam2000
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 06:41:04 pm »

has anyone made a VS with VSB 1.3 on build 7000 ?

i'm working on a patched x86 system and i'm experiencing heavy problems like permanent re-log-ons and crashes when testing the theme.

and the changes i made are minimal and no problem at all on vista.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2009, 06:52:20 pm »

has anyone made a VS with VSB 1.3 on build 7000 ?

i'm working on a patched x86 system and i'm experiencing heavy problems like permanent re-log-ons and crashes when testing the theme.

and the changes i made are minimal and no problem at all on vista.
I made 3. The only difference is that I don't used Rafael's patches and I'm on x64.
mdtauk
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2009, 09:35:04 pm »

Rafael is aware of the issue, as I emailed him about it, but I think it may be an issue with VistaStyleBuilder, perhaps the msstyles file which is written isn't totally compatible.  And its not the running of the style itself, its just when that style is applied, and you restart the computer, it crashes uxtheme.dll when you try to login and you are thrown back to the login screen.

I activated the guest account so I can restore the patched uxtheme and then log back in.  By the by, has anyone tested VSB with build 7022, which seems to be the new 7000 for people.  I am probably going to wait till RC before changing my build.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2009, 09:59:15 pm »

Rafael is aware of the issue, as I emailed him about it, but I think it may be an issue with VistaStyleBuilder, perhaps the msstyles file which is written isn't totally compatible.  And its not the running of the style itself, its just when that style is applied, and you restart the computer, it crashes uxtheme.dll when you try to login and you are thrown back to the login screen.

I activated the guest account so I can restore the patched uxtheme and then log back in.  By the by, has anyone tested VSB with build 7022, which seems to be the new 7000 for people.  I am probably going to wait till RC before changing my build.
Runnin 22 now with a custom theme
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: