Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beginner help with first VS  (Read 112837 times)
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2012, 02:55:00 am »

In Firefox:

1) All disabled popup menu textcolor is Fonts, Colors, & System Metrics > Fonts & System Metrics > GRAYTEXT:COLOR

Ah, so all disabled items must be the same colour, whether selected or not?

2) Menu bar (File, Edit etc) background is Lists, Menus, & Tabs > Menu > BarItem . Textcolors are Fonts, Colors, & System Metrics > Fonts & System Metrics > MENUTEXT:COLOR and Lists, Menus, & Tabs > Menu > PopUpItem > Hot > TEXTCOLOR:COLOR

Okay, thank you.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to change the colour of the text of the selected menu in the menu bar, in Firefox, in Windows Explorer, etc. (though it did in Thunderbird)?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 03:17:49 am by Qwerky » Logged
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2012, 03:10:09 am »

Okay, thanks.  They actually have an image, it is 21 x 27 pixels, the same as the other states under Top, but the image is simply a black rectangle.  So, a maximized Aero window title bar cannot have an image, texture, etc., but simply a colour?

Speaking of glow, how to eliminate the glow around the text of the window title?

To remove the glow on the title text adjust Windows and Caption Buttons > Aero > DWM Window > Frames > Window > Top > Active > Opacity:Int to 0, also adjust for the other window states.

Or you can make Windows and Caption Buttons > Aero > DWM Window > Frames > Details > Glows > Text a blank image.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2012, 01:27:18 pm »

Ah, so all disabled items must be the same colour, whether selected or not?

Okay, thank you.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to change the colour of the text of the selected menu in the menu bar, in Firefox, in Windows Explorer, etc. (though it did in Thunderbird)?

1) In Firefox disabled textcolors are the same though not in other popups.

2) In the Explorer menubar you can change the color by unchecking Fonts, Colors, & System Metrics > Fonts & System Metrics > FLATMENUS:BOOL and then changing the textcolors of the states at Toolbars, Headers, & Rebar > Toolbars & Headers > Toolbar > <default>. For the Task Manager menubar you do the same at Lists, Menus, & Tabs > Menu > BarItem.

3) Don't know about Thunderbird. Could be any of these or none of them. A lot of apps are partially controlled by msstyles or not at all.
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2012, 08:38:43 pm »

To remove the glow on the title text adjust Windows and Caption Buttons > Aero > DWM Window > Frames > Window > Top > Active > Opacity:Int to 0, also adjust for the other window states.

Or you can make Windows and Caption Buttons > Aero > DWM Window > Frames > Details > Glows > Text a blank image.

Thanks!  That worked fine (Opacity to 0) to eliminate the glow on the title bar text.  I notice that in Firefox the menu bar background is a lighter shade than the rest of the window, and that the text of the menu names also has glow around it.  In Thunderbird, the menu name text also has glow, but only when selected.  I tried the blank image, but neither of these methods got rid of the glow on the menu bar.  Any ideas?
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2012, 02:51:09 am »

2) In the Explorer menubar you can change the color by unchecking Fonts, Colors, & System Metrics > Fonts & System Metrics > FLATMENUS:BOOL and then changing the textcolors of the states at Toolbars, Headers, & Rebar > Toolbars & Headers > Toolbar > <default>. For the Task Manager menubar you do the same at Lists, Menus, & Tabs > Menu > BarItem.

This then causes the selection image on the menubar to change, need to figure out how to modify these as well.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:53:09 am by Qwerky » Logged
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2012, 03:44:45 am »

Thanks!  That worked fine (Opacity to 0) to eliminate the glow on the title bar text.  I notice that in Firefox the menu bar background is a lighter shade than the rest of the window, and that the text of the menu names also has glow around it.  In Thunderbird, the menu name text also has glow, but only when selected.  I tried the blank image, but neither of these methods got rid of the glow on the menu bar.  Any ideas?

Programs can still draw their own glow if they chose to override bits of the theming engine with their own. Firefox and probably Thunderbird as well use XUL which is what draws its UI. If you change something from the MSStyles for Firefox or Thunderbird then it's probably defined within its theme.

You could try the generic text glow though: Explorer & Shell > Shell > TextGlow > Glow or Explorer & Shell > Shell > TextGlow > <1>
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2012, 02:29:31 pm »

This then causes the selection image on the menubar to change, need to figure out how to modify these as well.

1) Changing a textcolor has nothing to do with changing a background image

2) Using the uncheck FLATMENUS:BOOL option links the explorer menubar to your toolbar properties so you can change textcolors and background images for the various states. The background images would now be at Toolbars, Headers, & Rebar > Toolbars & Headers > Toolbar > Button.

3) Or you could leave FLATMENUS:BOOL checked and not be able to change textcolors or background images for the explorer menubar states. The only background change would be Fonts & System Metrics > HIGHLIGHT:COLOR.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:33:11 pm by 3am » Logged
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2012, 12:25:53 am »

Programs can still draw their own glow if they chose to override bits of the theming engine with their own. Firefox and probably Thunderbird as well use XUL which is what draws its UI. If you change something from the MSStyles for Firefox or Thunderbird then it's probably defined within its theme.

You could try the generic text glow though: Explorer & Shell > Shell > TextGlow > Glow or Explorer & Shell > Shell > TextGlow > <1>

You two are surely right about the Mozilla apps overriding msstyles.  But, I've tried the above TextGlow in Shell, as well as the two methods given by Mr Grimm, and nothing has gotten rid of the text glow in the titlebar of Paint.  Is Paint also creating its own, or is there still more settings in msstyles regarding the glow?
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2012, 12:35:20 am »

2) Using the uncheck FLATMENUS:BOOL option links the explorer menubar to your toolbar properties so you can change textcolors and background images for the various states. The background images would now be at Toolbars, Headers, & Rebar > Toolbars & Headers > Toolbar > Button.

Thanks, that did it!
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2012, 12:43:32 am »

Like Grim said replace the image at Windows and Caption Buttons > Aero > DWM Window > Frames > Details > Glows > Text with a transparent png. Works for me. I do it all the time.
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2012, 12:56:42 am »

Like Grim said replace the image at Windows and Caption Buttons > Aero > DWM Window > Frames > Details > Glows > Text with a transparent png. Works for me. I do it all the time.

Did that; didn't affect Paint.  Let me be sure I've got the transparent image right, since I'm not much of a graphics guy:

I'm using Adobe Photoshop Elements.  I took the original .png image, selected all, and deleted; this leaves an empty image of the same size, which I saved and then imported.  If this isn't correct, would you kindly provide the instructions to make a transparent .png of the same size as the original?
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2012, 01:07:39 am »

I use Gimp

1) make the whole image a solid color
2)  selection tools>fuzzy select.select it then layer>transparency>add alpha
3) edit>clear
4) save

I'm sure there are many other ways but this is what I do

attached is the one i use
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:14:57 am by 3am » Logged
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2012, 02:23:09 am »

Okay, thank you for the image, which I imported.  I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your image (in Photoshop I couldn't tell the difference between yours and mine, though there is a considerable size difference), but yet this doesn't get rid of the glow around the name in the titlebar of Paint -- does it remove the glow in Paint for you?
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2012, 02:36:11 am »

Here's another question:  in the original Aero style, the taskbar button gets a green progress-bar background when there is a download in progress, etc.; but in the buttons and taskbar I made, there is no such progress indicator--how can I reinstate it?
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2012, 02:48:03 am »

Okay, thank you for the image, which I imported.  I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your image (in Photoshop I couldn't tell the difference between yours and mine, though there is a considerable size difference), but yet this doesn't get rid of the glow around the name in the titlebar of Paint -- does it remove the glow in Paint for you?

Works perfect for me. No idea what your problen could be.

http://i.cubeupload.com/vV33bd.png.

Taskbar progress bar is:

Taskbar & System Tray > TaskBand > Basic > TaskBand > Progress etc
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2012, 03:00:30 am »

Go to globals > GLOWINTENSITY:INT and change the value to zero and that'll kill the glow

You aren't seeing the taskband Progress Bars because your TaskItemButtons are a solid color
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:14:08 am by 3am » Logged
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2012, 10:14:42 pm »

Go to globals > GLOWINTENSITY:INT and change the value to zero and that'll kill the glow

That did it; thanks!

You aren't seeing the taskband Progress Bars because your TaskItemButtons are a solid color

Correct.  Sorry for such an elementary question:  how do I make the buttons that I've already created, transparent?
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2012, 11:08:25 pm »

In Gimp I just hit Ctrl+L and use the Opacity slider to decrease opacity. Likely something similar in the image editor you are using.

They don't have to be completely transparent. Experiment with what level of opacity works best for you
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:25:27 pm by 3am » Logged
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2012, 02:40:06 am »

Got it!  Experimenting with transparency now.
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2012, 09:59:52 pm »

Okay, I've added transparency to all the buttons.  I found that 50% allowed my buttons to more-or-less maintain the colour I created them with, while still allowing the green progress bar to show well.  But because the buttons are now a little faded, there is less contrast between the active button and the others, so it is a trade-off.

Unfortunately, adding transparency caused the undesired glow effect to return, where the button assumes the major colour of the icon when hovered over.  But, I found that if I made just the two hover states solid, and all the other states with 50% transparency, I no longer have the hover-colour-from-icon effect, and all I loose is the progress bar when hovering over the button--the progress bar is still shown in all other states.  I can even have the 'Animations in Start Menu and Taskbar' item checked without issue, which should allow a button to flash (though this hasn't been tested yet, as I haven't had a flash condition--is there a way to simulate one?).

Next, on to the Start menu.  This is lower down the list since it is less important for me, because I use Classic Start Menu.
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2012, 03:42:51 am »

I tuned up the taskbar buttons to improve contrast with transparency.  Start Menu is almost done... just a few more touches to go.
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2012, 03:00:42 am »

Well, I've got the Start Menu almost complete, but there is one image that eludes me:

When you type into the search bar and the results list is shown, where is the image of the highlight that you move up and down the results list?
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2012, 12:48:04 pm »

Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ListView > ListItem > Hot, Selected etc images

In Aero. Not sure if it's the same in Classic Start Menu.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:54:55 pm by 3am » Logged
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2012, 09:56:00 pm »

Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ListView > ListItem > Hot, Selected etc images

In Aero. Not sure if it's the same in Classic Start Menu.

Thanks, 3am, that's got it!  Just to be clear, I'm not currently working on the Classic Start Menu theme (which has its own theming engine), but the Windows 7 Start Menu.

I've just remembered one more item:  new programs in the Start Menu have a pale orange (peach?) highlight to them--where can I change this colour (I've tried various images and colour properties, but haven't been able to find it)?

In the mean time, I'm attaching my VS here for anyone who would like to critique it and offer any input.  This theme has only one real purpose (aside from being a learning tool for me), and that is to make the interface easy to read.

The standard Windows 7 interface, whether Aero or Basic, is purposely designed with extremely low contrast, and is very difficult to view for anyone with eye issues, reading glasses, or just aging eyes; it is, in my opinion, the worst user interface ever designed in terms of visibility/readability!

The Windows XP UI, on the other hand, is one of the most well designed, in terms of visibility/readability (not necessarily talking about functionality), and therefore I tended to draw on XP for colour choices, and my VS is simply called WinX7.  But it's not intended to be XP, but rather to be Windows 7 with XP colouring/visibility/readability.

It is designed primarily to be a Basic theme, though I've attempted to give it the same attributes when used as an Aero theme as well, though it is designed without transparency.  It should work equally well with large or small taskbar icons, and with the taskbar on any of the four screen edges.

So based on those criteria, please feel free to offer any comments.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2012, 10:34:36 pm »

Do you mean in the Programs List?

That would be in 1.4.1 XMLs: StartMenu > Panels > Basic > List Item  > New or in 1.6 XMLs:Start Menu > Panels > Basic > Programs List > Controls > Programs List Item > New

Try to be more specific or show a picture of what you want to know about. Makes the question easier to answer accurately.

If you have checked "Highlight Newly Installed Programs" in Customize Menu in Start Menu Properties the highlight background is at StartMenu > Panels > Basic > NSC Host > InfoBk:Color  & textcolor is at Start Menu > Panels > Basic > NSC Host > InfoText:Color in 1.4.1 XMLs or Start Menu > Panels > Basic > Programs List > Panels > NSCHost > Info Bk and InfoText in 1.6 XMLs.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:56:33 pm by 3am » Logged
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2012, 02:55:43 am »

Do you mean in the Programs List?

That would be in 1.4.1 XMLs: StartMenu > Panels > Basic > List Item  > New or in 1.6 XMLs:Start Menu > Panels > Basic > Programs List > Controls > Programs List Item > New

Try to be more specific or show a picture of what you want to know about. Makes the question easier to answer accurately.

If you have checked "Highlight Newly Installed Programs" in Customize Menu in Start Menu Properties the highlight background is at StartMenu > Panels > Basic > NSC Host > InfoBk:Color  & textcolor is at Start Menu > Panels > Basic > NSC Host > InfoText:Color in 1.4.1 XMLs or Start Menu > Panels > Basic > Programs List > Panels > NSCHost > Info Bk and InfoText in 1.6 XMLs.

Yes, I do mean in the Programs List (the left side) of the Start Menu.  When you install a new program and run it, it shows up there with a highlighted colour, only if you have "Highlight Newly Installed Programs" checked.  Unfortunately, I've tried both of your suggestions above, and neither has had any effect on this highlight.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2012, 03:12:23 am »

http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1133.0?

If none of these work then the only thing left I can think of is:

In 1.4 XMLs :StartMenu > Panels > Basic > JumpListItemLeft or in 1.6 XMLs: Start Menu > Panels > Basic > Programs List > Controls > Programs List Split Button Left
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 02:23:42 pm by 3am » Logged
Qwerky
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2012, 02:16:44 am »

The image in that link was the one, thanks!

So this VS is done as far as the basics are concerned.  No one have any comments?
Jannie445
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2013, 08:17:59 am »

They aren't reversed. It's always Left, Right, Top, Bottom.
You can set it to 10, 10, 0, 0 and it'll edge both the top and the bottom:

The vertical taskbar doesn't size the same way as the top/bottom. The buttons's width is set to automatic to fit the taskbar.

The 1 moment you are talking about ←,→,↑,↓. Did I miss something as to make it change ↑,↓,←,→?

X
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2013, 06:43:42 pm »

I don't understand, no where did I say anything other than left, right, top, bottom.
Jannie445
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2013, 06:51:44 pm »

Maybe i'm just misunderstanding but you say 10, 10, 0, 0 will edge the top and bottom. Is left and right somehow supposed to edge the top and bottom?  Huh?

X
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2013, 07:47:28 pm »

Maybe i'm just misunderstanding but you say 10, 10, 0, 0 will edge the top and bottom. Is left and right somehow supposed to edge the top and bottom?  Huh?

No, the fact the top and bottom are both set to 0 will.
Poopcow23
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2013, 09:02:19 am »

Now it is a little unclear to me, what the difference is between List View & Items View. I would like to know if it is even possible to add a drop shadow to the text in explorer. My current theme is best used with FullGlass.exe, and I would like it to remain this way but found most text is difficult to read. Alternativly I could change my wallpaper but prefur not. So, can a drop shadow be added?
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2013, 01:11:46 pm »

http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1588.0
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: