Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unable to save and other buttons become inactive  (Read 17034 times)
SwedishRambo
Beginner

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:17:21 pm »

Hi

I've recently downloaded a theme, and there were a few elements I wanted to change to suit my style - Don't worry I asked before hand and got permission, and I won't be redistributing it, this is solely for my own computer.

So, I went ahead and made a copy of the theme, and opened the .msstyles file in Windows Stile Builder. I made a change to one of the elements (the "Show Desktop Button" to be exact), and went ahead to save. This worked fine. Then I made another change, this time to the width of the taskbar, and now every time I click save nothing happens. There is no error message or anything.

I've also noticed that the Export/Import buttons stop working as well (At this time).
Also, when I get to the stage where I can't save, if I click Open > Open Existing Visual Style, it instead loads up the basic Aero style, instead of popping up with a window to select a theme.

I'm not sure what's going on, Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
If it helps I am using Windows 7, 64Bit, SP1

If anyone can help me with this I would be very grateful
- Christian
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:36:42 pm »

This is a bug in Windows, the best way to recover is to click the test button, then go into %temp% and copy the latest aveXXXX.tmp file and rename it to your msstyles. We're looking for a way to circumvent this bug, though have yet to find a way.
beenoon
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:00:46 pm »

Does this mean the import/export buttons not working is due to the same issue as the save bug?

Just got my copy installed and running, and it's pretty disheartening that I can't save properly or import/export a few files without having to restart the app Sad Sad

(On Win7 x64)
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 09:50:50 pm »

Does this mean the import/export buttons not working is due to the same issue as the save bug?

Just got my copy installed and running, and it's pretty disheartening that I can't save properly or import/export a few files without having to restart the app Sad Sad

(On Win7 x64)

It can happen with import/export too. You can try the 1.5.3.2 beta but it's more of a Windows bug than a WSB one.
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 06:01:03 pm »

I am very glad to say that I have never had this particular problem, I have had a few other strange issues that happen sometimes when saving, somehow the msstyles gets corrupted but have always managed to get the temp file and rename it to restore my project, it's had me worried a couple of times though lol
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 10:47:05 pm »

I am very glad to say that I have never had this particular problem, I have had a few other strange issues that happen sometimes when saving, somehow the msstyles gets corrupted but have always managed to get the temp file and rename it to restore my project, it's had me worried a couple of times though lol

I haven't heard of that before, corrupted how?
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:44:42 am »

Not sure how it was corrupted, it's only happened a couple of times, don't remember the exact details of the problem, if it ever happens again I will try and get some more details of what lead up to it and I will send you the file to take a look at, just glad those temp files get created though.

Another bug I have had a few times is the first time you hit test WSB will just crash, I found it's a good habit to hit test just after loading it just make sure it's working OK, but after the first test if it works then it runs great the whole time I am using it.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 05:04:04 pm »

Not sure how it was corrupted, it's only happened a couple of times, don't remember the exact details of the problem, if it ever happens again I will try and get some more details of what lead up to it and I will send you the file to take a look at, just glad those temp files get created though.

Another bug I have had a few times is the first time you hit test WSB will just crash, I found it's a good habit to hit test just after loading it just make sure it's working OK, but after the first test if it works then it runs great the whole time I am using it.

Is this in 1.5 or later? I've never seen WSB actually crash unless you copy/paste an imagefile property and then try to import over it.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 05:12:48 pm »

1.5 and later

If it happens again can you send me the crash log from event viewer?

Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 02:59:43 am »

Yeah no worries mate, I haven't had any problems at all with the beta so far, seems very stable Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: