Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: graphic request: square shadows  (Read 16149 times)
garbanzo
Beginner

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2009, 11:20:28 am »

i've been messing with the window shadows in the stream, trying to get them squared off to match my square window borders, but i'm having a rough time with it. i just can't visualize how they're put together to form the final shadow effect.

has anyone made shadows with square corners? or perhaps you know an existing VS with square shadows i can look at?

a little help would be much appreciated Cheesy
mdtauk
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 12:00:38 am »

Its quite simple really...

The Red areas are the DWM Frame Top and Bottom Images for the frames with shadows

The Blue areas are the DWM Left and Right for shadowed and shadowless frames

The Yellow areas are the shadow left and right images

The green are the shadow top and bottom images.

Its important the widths of the left and right shadows, fit with the width of the top and bottom images, so it all lines up.
madalien
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:30:22 pm »

this post made my day!

thx alot!
Felipe
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:17:36 pm »

I still don't quite understand how this works. If I wanted uniform shadows, would I simply resize the top, bottom, left, and right shadows to all be the same size?

Also... I've made a mock frame with shadows, but I have no idea how to translate this into WSB... Could someone explain this better? Are the shadow images stretched... How could I achieve uniformity? I imagine I would adjust the margins so it tiles a single pixel of width or length.

Thank you.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:00:34 pm »

The shadows are drawn like this:

The top and bottom span over the side shadows so they're larger.

If your window has rounded borders then the yellow part will need to be a part of the frame image.

The easiest way is to create a square in photoshop with a drop shadow, and just cut it to match the image above.
Felipe
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 01:55:38 am »

I've done that, but the side and top shadows do not meet correctly.

Any idea why they would not blend correctly?
Mr GRiM
Beta Tester
Dedicated Themer

Master Theme Builder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:27:55 pm »

I've done that, but the side and top shadows do not meet correctly.

Any idea why they would not blend correctly?

Make sure the the shadow image on the top has the same width from the edge of the frame as your side shadow images, otherwise they will not align, hope you understand what I mean.

By the looks of it you have to much of a gap, too much width from the edge of your top shadow image, either reduce the space on the edges of your top image or increase the width of your side shadow images.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:31:46 pm by Mr GRiM » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: