Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Start Menu Extended Top Bar - Where to Change?  (Read 8210 times)
Yushatak
Beginner

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:06:29 am »

I've been tweaking a port of 4074 Slate to Windows 7, because I love this theme and was too lazy to port the whole thing myself. Some guy did most of the work, so I thought I'd fix up the glaring incongruities and use it.

Anywho I was replacing all of the "top bars" on the start menu so that they matched and lined up with the left and right bars. All's well and good, but when I hover over an item and bring up a start menu jump list there's a segment of the top bar that I cannot figure out where to change to the new, matching, graphic.

Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean:

Oh and while I'm in here asking things, there's a single pixel in the top right off by itself - do you see? That isn't in the theme image, it's somehow introduced somewhere between applying the theme and using the start menu. Any idea wtf that's about? There's also some on the top left corner, but not as irritatingly placed.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:09:27 am by Yushatak » Logged
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:06:26 am »

I've been tweaking a port of 4074 Slate to Windows 7, because I love this theme and was too lazy to port the whole thing myself. Some guy did most of the work, so I thought I'd fix up the glaring incongruities and use it.

Anywho I was replacing all of the "top bars" on the start menu so that they matched and lined up with the left and right bars. All's well and good, but when I hover over an item and bring up a start menu jump list there's a segment of the top bar that I cannot figure out where to change to the new, matching, graphic.

Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean:

Oh and while I'm in here asking things, there's a single pixel in the top right off by itself - do you see? That isn't in the theme image, it's somehow introduced somewhere between applying the theme and using the start menu. Any idea wtf that's about? There's also some on the top left corner, but not as irritatingly placed.

Looks like imperfections in the frame part of your images at:

Start Menu > Panels > Aero > Top > ProgramsListExtended
Start Menu > Panels > Aero > Top > PlacesListExtended

Did you check them?
Yushatak
Beginner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 04:43:52 am »

Well it's a Basic theme, so it would be Basic->etc.. but I've looked at every single sprite in that section, and already have edited any that are relevant. This one seems to just pull itself out of it's ass.. Sad

I trust you see where the borders are between the segment in question and the areas left and right of it? The area to the left is the ProgramsListExtended, and the area to the right is the PlacesListExtended. I expected that when I edited PlacesListExtended it would stretch the tiny bit of horizontal bar leftward and complete the line, but it seems to source it from some unknown location.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:30:06 am »

Well it's a Basic theme, so it would be Basic->etc.. but I've looked at every single sprite in that section, and already have edited any that are relevant. This one seems to just pull itself out of it's ass.. Sad

I trust you see where the borders are between the segment in question and the areas left and right of it? The area to the left is the ProgramsListExtended, and the area to the right is the PlacesListExtended. I expected that when I edited PlacesListExtended it would stretch the tiny bit of horizontal bar leftward and complete the line, but it seems to source it from some unknown location.

The PlacesList stretches badly in 7. In my theme I worked around this by adding an extra column of pixels to the left and changing the left sizing margin to 0 whereas Extended doesn't have that column and has a sizing margin of 1. The reason the sizing margin is so small is because of that sizing issue. (It's stretching all the way behind the ProgramsList.) So the best thing to do is create the image with the width +1 of the panel itself which is the 3rd value at Start Menu > Panels > Basic > Places List > Panels > Places List
Yushatak
Beginner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 07:11:23 pm »

That path doesn't exist.. PlacesList exists, but not PlacesList->Panel->PlacesList - at least not in my version of the program, which is freshly downloaded..?

I'm confused - are you saying I should be editing PlacesList and not PlacesListExtended? I don't see why.. PlacesList doesn't even have a SizingMode by default.

I presume when you speak of a "third value" you mean under DEFAULTPANESIZE:RECT, where it has 0,0,150,332, and thus you refer to 150. So you suggest I use a non-stretching PlacesList graphic of a width of 151..? How will that help when it invokes the PlacesListExtended graphic, which is the only time that the unmatching piece appears? It would make sense if the PlacesList graphic was still being shown and leaking through there, but the PlacesList graphic has the proper gradient and if that were the case there would be no problem...

*CONFUSED*  Huh?

Edit: Tried my best to wrap my head around what you were saying, and I made a version of PlacesList that is 151px, extended to the left from where it was with a horizontal bar along the top. It made it so that the right side of the start menu was broken (huge click-through hole) until you moused over something, in which case PlacesListExtended took over and still had the same problem. This clearly did not help. I am going to try such a large graphic in Extended..

Edit 2: While I attempted to do this to the Extended sprite, I discovered that apparently the original gradient had snuck itself back into this graphic. I suppose I didn't save changes at some point, or just forgot to do it. Either way this was user error it seems and is now fixed by fixing PlacesListExtended's leftmost gradient bits and nothing else (which I thought I had already done).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:32:48 pm by Yushatak » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: