Vista Style Builder

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What am i doing wrong ?  (Read 14161 times)
Legacy-Code
Beginner

View Profile WWW
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:32:58 pm »

I am running W7Ultimate X86 and am using this VS  http://mrgrim01.deviantart.com/art/Xtreme-Red-Windows-7-Theme-146733698

I wish to edit the VS as it will be easier for me to see what files have been changed instead of looking at default Aero. I export a file to my desktop , open it up in PS CS4 , do my thing and then save it as a png. I also save a PSD and alter it a later if wish.

I import the image back into WSB keeping the same dimensions. I test it and if i am happy with it i save it. My VS saves and then it seems to fall apart slowly. Im not blaming the application as im sure its all user error.  6 hours ago it was looking cool , 3 hours ago i lost half of it and now its a mixed up default Aero /Custom VS . Im now back to a third Aero Default, a third custom VS and the remaining third is my VS.

WTF am i doing wrong ?
 Cry lol.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:15:14 am by Legacy-Code » Logged
NewYears1978
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:42:39 pm »

Seems like you didn't finish your question?

The way I edit mine is I make a copy of the theme file and folder that I am using as my base, then I load it in style builder and find the image I want to edit, click Edit and it will open in Photoshop, then you save it with the same name it has (.tmp name) and click Done making changes...then Test and/or Save
Legacy-Code
Beginner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:12:11 am »

Sorry about that , was typing my post and my phone rang. Musta leant on my keyboard and posted gibberish  Cheesy

Must i edit/save as a temp file ? That may well be my problem.  Still cant work out why my VS seems to disintegrate even  after multiple saves. 
NewYears1978
Beginner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:37:25 am »

I never tried the exporting/importing method..I think the first time I did, it wasn't working correctly.

Clicking Edit then saving thechanges seems to work.  Oh and no you don't have to keep all those temp files..you can delete them once you click done making changes..it imports them into the program I believe.
I could be wrong on this but I think this is correct because it assigns a new temp file every time you click edit (even same image)
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:00:40 am »

I use the edit key for editing images in WSB. It takes you to your chosen image editor ( which can be changed in appdata / roaming / windows stylebuilder / settings.ini), you edit the image, save it and its saved in WSB too. You want to edit again..just do the same process.

No idea why you're using Export/Import for WSB image editing. Makes no sense.
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 05:18:30 am »

I use the edit key for editing images in WSB. It takes you to your chosen image editor ( which can be changed in appdata / roaming / windows stylebuilder / settings.ini), you edit the image, save it and its saved in WSB too. You want to edit again..just do the same process.

No idea why you're using Export/Import for WSB image editing. Makes no sense.

You don't need to change it via the settings. Shift+Edit allows you to change it if a default is already set.
Legacy-Code
Beginner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 01:25:07 pm »

Back after a clean install of W7 and my system set up all nice and fresh . WSB is working perfectly ,even imported all my previously saved files from a desktop folder  back into my new VS and its all going well , cant be happier Cheesy

I have noticed something and it may be the cause of some of my problems.

Occasionally WSB saves two copies of the Windows VisualStyle file.This causes my VS is get buggy and lose parts of my VS that i previously edited . I have to use default Aero then delete the older file and use the newer version. My VS perfectly then.

I think this happens if i get and error code saying " WSB could not compile the MsStyle" or something along those lines.  Is this normal or am i doing something wrong ?

Thank you all for the advice  Cheesy
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 02:41:01 pm »

Ha ha...welcome to the world of WSB Error Messages etc.

Yeah I get that message all of the time and resave out of it. Sometimes I lose some stuff I know that I did. Your observation about the 2 msstyles saves is interesting. I'll have to check that out.

Wait until you get this error message....then you know you are truly screwed:

Or when you bootup and find yourself suddenly in Windows Classic. That is always a special moment.

Lately whenever I bootup I find myself half in my visual style and half out of it. I save and I'm back to normal.

But these are little things that can always be survived. The app, even when imperfect, is still the best available.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 05:48:03 pm by 3am » Logged
Legacy-Code
Beginner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 03:04:46 pm »

I thought it was just me being an idiot and doing things wrong , So glad i saved all my work as i went along as I've pretty well got it back to the way it was now.
Really strange about the two saves, I lose half my VS instantly, So i know to go to my themes folder and sort it out and my VS kicks back instantly.

Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 10:07:18 pm »

Ha ha...welcome to the world of WSB Error Messages etc.

Yeah I get that message all of the time and resave out of it. Sometimes I lose some stuff I know that I did. Your observation about the 2 msstyles saves is interesting. I'll have to check that out.

Wait until you get this error message....then you know you are truly screwed:

Or when you bootup and find yourself suddenly in Windows Classic. That is always a special moment.

Lately whenever I bootup I find myself half in my visual style and half out of it. I save and I'm back to normal.

But these are little things that can always be survived. The app, even when imperfect, is still the best available.

That dialog is just like the one in windows. You can't write to a file when it's in use. You're not screwed. Just close any other application that has it open. I get it all the time when restorator has it open. Just close it in that then save. You're not screwed if you have that error.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 10:14:39 pm »

In my case I am. It's always locked up by winlogon.exe. Don't know why. Any ideas?
Panda X
Administrator
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 10:15:55 pm »

In my case I am. It's always locked up by winlogon.exe. Don't know why. Any ideas?
Uh. winlogon shouldn't be doing that. In that case I really have no idea. You could kill winlogon and relogin. But I have no clue if that'd even work.
3am
Beta Tester
Dedicated Helper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 10:22:34 pm »

Yeah..I reboot and everything is fine...except i lose everything I've done because I can't save.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: